Starting up a very cold MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by profmatt, Dec 28, 2016.

1. profmatt macrumors 65816

profmatt

Round these parts it's currently just above freezing and my new MacBook is sitting in a depot somewhere waiting to be loaded into a van. By the time it gets to my house it's going to be one very cold MacBook.

Would it be stupid to unpack it and start using it straight away. Should I let it warm up for a few hours first? I'm thinking of the dangers of condensation, for example.

2. Ovedius macrumors 6502

Ovedius

According to the info on Apple.com Macs have an operating temperature between 10 and 35 degrees (Celsius).
    Safe storage temperatures are listed as between -25 to 45.

So to be absolutely safe you could wait for a while, but I don't know how dangerous it is to turn on a cold MacBook (below 10 degrees).

IMG_8712.jpg

3. northernpaul macrumors member

When it arrives, just put it in the Microwave for a few minutes ;)

4. Fishrrman macrumors G4

If you want to be sure, take it out of the box and then let it acclimate for an hour or two before you power it on.
    Certainly won't hurt anything...

5. profmatt thread starter macrumors 65816

profmatt

That was my plan. I took it out of the box but I couldn't resist the temptation to open the lid just to have a look at the keyboard.

Of course, the new MacBook Pro automatically boots up when you open the lid . . .

But, no problems! It's fine.

Except for the scratch . . . but that's another thread :(

6. jerryk macrumors 68030

You might want to just let it warm up for a bit. As the doc shows they expect 10c/50F and non-condensing environment.

Condensation in a computer is a really bad thing since moisture can cause corrosion that eats away at components until they fail. And if condensation causes water in the system it may trip one of the water detecting dots leading to no warranty coverage.

7. Ovedius macrumors 6502

Ovedius

And that is a real stinker, avoid at all costs.

8. Fzang macrumors 65816

Fzang

Man, you guys should really open a window or something.