Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 16, 2006
Do I need to buy a licence or anything, or do I just pay the first $100 (£50) fee and submit my apps?

jnic

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2008
Cambridge
Do I need to buy a licence or anything, or do I just pay the first $100 (£50) fee and submit my apps?

Just pay the (currently) £59 and you can submit to any and all of the app stores worldwide. If you're selling apps then you'll have to make a note of it on your tax return at some point, but other than that you're set.

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 16, 2006
Just pay the (currently) £59 and you can submit to any and all of the app stores worldwide. If you're selling apps then you'll have to make a note of it on your tax return at some point, but other than that you're set.

But I'm 14, so I actually dont.

Cool, thanks!

One thing though, what do you mean its currently £59, do you expect it to go up?

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 16, 2006
OK then, thanks! :)

I read in another thread someone made $715 in two days! :eek:

I'll certainly get the money back from my recent iPhone 3G purchase if my apps are good enough! :)

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
If you're selling apps then you'll have to make a note of it on your tax return at some point, but other than that you're set.
There is a bit more to it than that as you have to fill in a bunch of forms for Apple and also sort out some stuff to avoid Apple withholding another 30% of your income to pay US Taxes. Quite how this works for you if you don't pay UK taxes is an interesting point...

Is there an age restriction on selling stuff through the app store? I don't know. It does assume you're legally able to sign stuff. If your 14 then I don't think you are.

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 16, 2006
Does anyone know for certain if there will be legal problems with me selling stuff in the App Store?

tyr2

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2006
Leeds, UK
Well the agreement you must accept states:

3. Your Obligations
3.1 General
You certify to Apple and agree that:
(a) You are the legal age of majority in the jurisdiction in which You reside (at least 18 in many countries) and have the right an authority to enter this Agreement on Your behalf...

You could however have your parent accept the agreement and manage the relationship on your behalf. I've no idea how that would work from a tax point of view.

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 16, 2006
Well the agreement you must accept states:

You could however have your parent accept the agreement and manage the relationship on your behalf. I've no idea how that would work from a tax point of view.

But what is the legal age to be able to agree to the terms in the UK, though?

tyr2

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2006
Leeds, UK
But will anything actually happen if I go ahead and sign the agreement anyway? Or would it be fine my parents sign it for me, or would it not work tax-wise?

Well if you sign it it won't be legally binding and would be effectively worthless. Regarding getting your parents to sign on your behalf, I'd contact a tax adviser or perhaps contact the HMRC directly and ask them.

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 16, 2006
Well if you sign it it won't be legally binding and would be effectively worthless. Regarding getting your parents to sign on your behalf, I'd contact a tax adviser or perhaps contact the HMRC directly and ask them.

Ok, I'll do that later, thanks! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.