Starting up Mac straight to Windows Vista

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by theweber3, Mar 25, 2009.

1. theweber3 macrumors member

theweber3

I have Fusion 2 and was wondering if it was possible to start my Mac up to the Vista operating system...
    I think it will run much faster this way.

Any tips are appreciated.

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

You do realize that Fusion is just like Parallels, where you have a virtual machine running atop the Mac OS, right? You cannot technically "boot" your computer to Vista because the computer doesn't actually recognize it as a separate partition, like it would, say, for a Boot Camp installation.

3. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Fusion is a means of running Windows via virtual machine. You can't boot up into it. It's an app you run in OS X. If it's speed you're looking for, save yourself $70 and just use Boot Camp.

4. Markov macrumors 6502

Markov

If you wanted to use both VM Ware Fusion and boot into it natively, you can indeed do that. To do this you need to do a boot camp install of Vista (meaning it will actually take space on your hard drive in a separate partition on your disk). Follow through the steps to install Vista via boot camp (using boot camp assistant [very simple]). Once you have done that, open VM Ware and it will let you run your boot camp install side by side with OS X when you choose to. I do believe you still need to install the VM Ware tools, but this shouldn't mess with it when you boot the entire computer into Vista.

5. RedRaven571 macrumors 65816

RedRaven571

Yes, I have my iMac set up that way with XP SP2; I can boot into it natively or run it as a virtual via Fusion. BTW, when I have it in XP natively, unless I choose (by clicking on the Boot Camp black diamond) to boot it into OS X, each time I restart the computer, it boots into XP.