Starting Up with Flashing Folder with Question Mark

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kikobarbada, Dec 8, 2007.

1. kikobarbada macrumors regular

Hello.

Yesterday I was watching some movies I have legally downloaded via iTunes and suddenly the computer paralized. I forced it to shut down, and then while booting, a flashing folder comes with a question mark inside it. I can't get past that.

I have tried to use Disk Utility in the install disc but the drive does not appear in Disk Utility.

What other things can I do?

Thanks.

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

3. joegomolski macrumors 6502

joegomolski

Starting Up with Flashing Folder with Question Mark

First make sure you have a current backup of your user files.

Before buying a new HDD. Reinstall your operating system.

The flashing folder with a question mark, in my opinion, is probably telling you that there is a corrupt file in your system. Files can become corrupted in in a number of ways, like while downloading.

You can't find or fix corrupt files. At least I know of no method.

So I'd recommend you reinstall your OS X system, and see if that corrects the problem.

4. techruss macrumors newbie

techruss

Flashing Question Mark Folder

I am having the same issue. After a ton of searching google and forums it appears that I am going to have to break down and talk to someone at apple. I believe that this may truly be a Hard Drive failure as 1. When trying to reinstall or even just repairing the disk, it does not recognize the hard drive whatsoever and 2. I recently read (in this forum) about an issue with the Macbook and Macbook Pro Hard drives having a problem and Apple acknowledging this. :eek:

I guess we will see what Apple says. Any other folks that has had and resolved this issue in the past?

Thanks
    Russ:apple:

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

make sure you have the right start up drive selected. i had that problem and that was my issue

6. TraustiB macrumors member