Starting up with Xcode

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by derax, Oct 30, 2011.

1. derax macrumors newbie

derax

I´m wondering how I can start up with Xcode!

So I got this idea about making an app for a shopping street nearby. I have the idea of how it´s going to look, but I´m having some problem with starting up with Xcode.

To inform you guys of how it´s going to look here is overview

Attached Files:

2. Shawnpk macrumors 6502

You're app shouldn't be that hard to produce. Look up things like table views, navigation controllers, text fields, image views, text views and scroll views

3. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

OP how much programming experience do you have? If you don't have much (or any) you will need to start with learning Objective-C, then Cocoa Touch.

4. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

Need to be an app or would HTML "enough" ?

If an app is really required then Shawnpk gave the right buzzwords to start. Apple provide quite some samples and templates which gives a good start.

5. derax thread starter macrumors newbie

derax

I don´t have any experience at all with Xcode. The things I need to learn is how to put in text and pictures into the app(page1,3).

Then I have to learn how to make buttons (page1) that have the function to direct the user to the store list.

Then I need to know how to make the list of the stores (page2) and I also need each store name to have the function as a button that direct you to page3 where the Description about the stores are.

Last I need to make the navigation-bar

6. jnoxx macrumors 65816

jnoxx

For the app you want to make, you should grab an programming book for iPhone.
    Should take you a week (well, normally less), to get through the whole book, if you understand the basics, another week to get through the basis off your app.
    So aprox 2 weeks (without thorough design etc.)

7. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Okay, but how much experience do you have with Objective-C or even programming in general?

I get the feeling you think Xcode is the only thing you need to learn to do iOS Development but it is actually only one piece of the puzzle, some of the other (separate but related) things being object-oriented programming, Objective-C, Cocoa Touch, etc.

8. derax thread starter macrumors newbie

derax

I don´t have any experience with Objective-C, Xcode or programming in general. Didn´t think that some pictures, text and buttons with function would be that hard.

Tutorials like this would be helpfull: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9LmT1ULa8o

If you have some tutorials, comment!

9. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Xcode is an application used to do Mac and iOS programming. The bulk of learning to write iOS apps is not learning how to use Xcode, it's learning how to program. Just like learning how to use Photoshop doesn't mean you're a graphic designer, learning Xcode isn't the same as learning how to program.

You really do need to learn the basics of Objective-C programming, and how to use the Cocoa Touch frameworks. Xcode itself is just a tool to help you program.

My favorite book for Objective-C is Stephen Kochan's Programming in Objective-C: http://amzn.com/0321711394 . That is a really good way to learn Objective-C itself. You'll also need to learn the Cocoa Touch APIs. I don't have a book recommendation for that since I came to iOS after being a Mac programmer when iOS programming was brand new, but there are lots and lots of iOS programming books out there.

With all that said, I don't think your app looks very hard to do *for a programmer*, but you need to be prepared for a fairly steep learning curve while you're just getting started. That's not meant to discourage you, just trying to keep your expectations realistic.

10. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

I haven't looked into this feature at all yet, but would Storyboard (of Xcode 4.2) generate enough code automatically for the OP that he/she wouldn't hardly have to write any?

11. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Thats a common misconception. Pretty much anything in programming is hard at first.

In order to use buttons and pictures you have to understand how Cocoa works, how to connect those buttons to functions through outlets and such. To make those functions (which control what happens when the button is pressed) you have to understand Objective-C, data types, looping, etc.

I'm not saying its not possible, but you will have some work ahead of you.

A great book for getting started with all this (that has you making an iPhone app in the end) is the Big Nerd Ranch Objective-C book. It starts off with basic C concepts so you can understand how to program, moves to Objective-C, and then to Cocoa. A friend of mine bought this book and he is a complete beginner and has been having a great time with it.

Even though Apple makes it easy to design a GUI interface (by providing a TON of functionality for you) you will still need to know how to program. This book will help get you there pretty fast.