Other Starting with a clean slate iPhone XS?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sciuro, Sep 21, 2018.

1. sciuro macrumors newbie

Every time I got a new iPhone, I restored the previous image on a new phone (3GS->4S->5S->6S Plus). My XS is arriving today and I wonder if I should just start fresh. I cannot imagine that there's no old code/bugs/etc lingering in those backups accumulated over ages. I guess a lot of my info would just populate from the iCloud including iMessages and I could manually set up the rest. It's extra work, of course.

Should I bother?

2. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 68000

I am going to start fresh for the first time today if I can figure out how to save a couple of apps that are no longer in the app store

3. adammull macrumors 6502a

adammull

I always start fresh but be prepared for all the people who say that's a waste of time. I think it runs better. YMMV.

4. Natya Sadella macrumors 6502a

I have set up my xs as a new phone. Why should I bring cadaver data to my new phone from an older phone?

Even there are no performance improvements by this, its the cleanest solution you get.

Was you xs filled with apple apps from the app store like garageband etc too?

5. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

I always set up as new, but I am going to restore from a backup today. I need to make sure my HomeKit stuff stays exactly the same.

6. Natya Sadella macrumors 6502a

I think the home app is a icloud thing. So you can set up as new, and after you login with your icloud it SHOULD be the same as before.

7. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

Yea it says it is, I would just rather not risk it. I have always set up as new, but I think it’s more of a placebo than anything else. My X is running great so I don’t see why there would be a problem on my Max.

8. thatJohann macrumors 65816

thatJohann

doesn't Homekit configuration appear when you sign in with your apple iD on your new phone?

9. dawesie1 macrumors regular

Setting up as new - happy to lose everything (photos, contacts, password etc.) then?

10. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

It’s an option under iCloud and I believe all would be good, but this is the first new phone I’ve had since I setup my HomeKit stuff and I would rather not chance it. Took too long to finally get everything working perfectly.

11. Natya Sadella macrumors 6502a

Everything is stored in icloud. I just have to install my apps again and go through the settings app.

Every stock apple app is in the same state even if you set up as new.

12. DDustiNN macrumors 68000

DDustiNN

Never. iCloud restore is the most convenient way to set up. Been doing it every year since it started.

13. adammull macrumors 6502a

adammull

I thought all apps could be redownloaded because they're tied to your appleid?
    Lose everything lol. You know how clouds work. Right?
    --- Post Merged, Sep 21, 2018 ---
    Losing contacts. Wow. I had to reply twice because just, wow. Just. WOW.

This is what people think happens.

14. techspin macrumors 6502a

Restoring from encrypted backup especially since iOS 12 seems to be pretty solid. And I'm hoping it'll keep my watch data.

15. shr631, Sep 21, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2018

shr631 macrumors regular

What about iMessages and regular old text messages. - if I start with a clean slate will signing in to iCloud bring up all my texts? I have some work related ones that are iMessage and reg’lar texts and need them. Thanks!

16. DDustiNN macrumors 68000

DDustiNN

You know, that’s a good point. I never even considered that iCloud for iMessage probably wouldn’t even include regular “green” text messages.

That alone makes me glad I haven’t switched it on. I’ll stick to my regular iCloud backups.

17. dawesie1 macrumors regular

Yeah, that’s how I have to backup and restore now as I’ve been completely locked out of iTunes backups.

Surely iCloud would carry the risk of historical bugs etc. as alluded to by the OP? I

18. DDustiNN macrumors 68000

DDustiNN

iCloud doesn’t Store a copy of your phone... it just tells your phone what to install and which settings to flip on and off. And it keeps your individual app data which is super convenient.

I’ve been restoring from iCloud backups every year since it was introduced and never had a single issue.

19. now i see it macrumors 68040

It should be noted (by others) that when an iPhone that's acting wonky is brought into Apple for troubleshooting via a genius appt or remote correspondence, one option of last resort they recommend as a last ditch effort is a clean install. So a clean install is not the same as a restore from backup because sometimes it fixes problems.
    And if that's the case... That means restoring from backup is not the safest option to ensure a trouble free phone... Though obviously it does work fine most of the time.

20. Theyayarealivin macrumors 6502

So the best thing to do having iPhone free install as bug free would be! Set up the phone as new then turn on icloud? Everything from iCloud should merge over right?