Starting with game development

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by r00li, Sep 28, 2009.

1. r00li macrumors member

So I just completed my second iPhone application (which is waiting for apples approval) and now I want to go forward. While utility applications are easy to make, they don't produce a lot of $$$ (I sold only 36 versions of my first app). So I was thinking about making a game - I have two great ideas that haven't been implemented on iphone yet and of course I want to get that idea to reality. Problem is where to start? Any good book? I found a cocos2d for iphone (a nice framework) that should probably be good to start. But I also want to make some OSX graphic apps so cocos2d isn't good for that.

So any ideas?

2. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

Chipmunk Physics is a good multi-platform OpenGL physics engine. Not toally sure what your game it, but that might be a start.

3. r00li thread starter macrumors member

I first need the basics of the game development for iphone/mac before I need a physics engine:D.

4. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

5. skunkworker macrumors regular

If your wanting complete control over memory management, which on iphone games is crucial, take a look at learning opengl es and a good physics engine like box2d or chipmunk. Core Animation only gets you so far.

6. r00li thread starter macrumors member

I don't know! It isn't realy high ranked. Why aren't there any simple books/tutorials like for standard app development? For standard applications you can find many books/tutorials but why not for games?

7. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Define "standard" game development.

8. r00li thread starter macrumors member

There are no standard games but I meant like a book that shows you how to create a simple arcade game and explains every step on the way. Problem is that there are no books on how to start with game development. There are books that show how to improve games... But nothing for beginers realy.

9. Darkroom Guest

Darkroom

def check out Jeff LaMarche's OpenGL ES from the Ground Up. currently it's a series of 8. i think it would be smart of him to ride the success of his Beginning iPhone 3 Development book and release a book on Open GL ES for iPhone. i'd certainly pre-order that.