Starting X fresh, while keeping health data?

StuMcBill

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 11, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
I pick up my X on Friday, but I would like to start the phone as a new iPhone, not restoring from backup, and install apps as I need them. However I would like to keep my health and activity data which I have synced with my watch?

Is this something that can be done?

Also, I will do a backup of my old phone before moving to the new one. Is there anyway to do selective app restores? Ie, if I reinstall a game I had, but the save was local
on my phone, is there anyway I can restore that save only?

Thanks
Stewart

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
Apple should be releasing heathkit data syncing in 11.1 which I would assume comes with the X. So update your old phone so it syncs it. I also remember iOS 11 comes with a new setup feature where you can sync your old and new devices data at setup. I as of yet have used said feature so I couldn't tell you if it includes health data.

StuMcBill

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 11, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
I've got 11.1b5 Public Beta installed in my 7 already, so should it be there?

I guess I'll backup my current phone and see how it goes on Friday!!

nieks

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2016
The Netherlands
Very good question indeed, am wondering the same. I'll be starting fresh with an iPhone X as well, but want to keep my health data. Hmm.

Cremerhm

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2012
The Netherlands
I've got 11.1b5 Public Beta installed in my 7 already, so should it be there?

I guess I'll backup my current phone and see how it goes on Friday!!
I've got 11.1b5 also. There is a option for Health Data under iCloud. So I hope this works?
I would like to do a fresh install also...

profets

macrumors 601
Mar 18, 2009
With 11.0 Health became one of the items listed under iCloud that can be synced.

Make sure you have it enabled, and then test out the new phone as a fresh start. Worse case if it doesn’t work you can always try something different afterwards.

StuMcBill

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 11, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
I've got health selected in icloud, so hopefully all good to go.

As long as I have that and my photos (stored in iCloud Photo Library) I'm good to go.

Regarding the other question - is there a way to do selective app data restores?

Stewart

profets

macrumors 601
Mar 18, 2009
I've got health selected in icloud, so hopefully all good to go.

As long as I have that and my photos (stored in iCloud Photo Library) I'm good to go.

Regarding the other question - is there a way to do selective app data restores?

Stewart
Regarding selective app data restores - I don’t think so. Not that I know of anyway.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
For the most part I think it's "all or none." If you start as new, you start as new. The exception is for apps that keep data stored in your iCloud account. But if the app data is stored locally, it's lost if you don't do a restore from backup.

jtrue28

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2015
Lexington, KY
I don't see "Health" as an option in iCloud. Also, will this feature only be available to back up FROM 11.1? My current phone is still on 10.3.3, and I don't intend on upgrading that. I would like to start fresh on the X, but keeping my health data is more important to me.

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
I don't see "Health" as an option in iCloud. Also, will this feature only be available to back up FROM 11.1? My current phone is still on 10.3.3, and I don't intend on upgrading that. I would like to start fresh on the X, but keeping my health data is more important to me.
You won’t see Health if you are not using iOS 11

StoneCold X

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2015
I want to start fresh as well, but want to be able to keep all of my text messages.

IS there a way to do that without restoring a backup?

JTravers

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010