Startup chime doesn't play on startup

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Carljammers, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Carljammers macrumors newbie

I know, I know, some of you might think this is a god send. but for what ever reason I'm missing it. I have seached the web and these forums but none of the solutions have worked for me, maybe someone has another tip? So it all started when I ran a hardware test on my macbook because it was acting funky. Turns out it was hdd failure, so I failed the test. After that the chime stopped. I went out bought a new hdd, installed a fresh install of snow leopard and updated everything. still no chime, so I checked system profiler and it still had the AHT failure in diagnostics so I ran it again and passed, still no chime. Resetting the SMC didn't work. Resetting the PRAM and NVRAM didn't work either (which does not chime either like it's supposed to, the dvd drive just makes a noise, screen goes black, system restarts, no sound).

I can also tell you the internal speaker does work, they are not muted, and I have no extrenal speakers or headphones connected. I even took my macbook over to my buddies house who I guess knows a guy with the ASD which passed all tests. Other then this issue everything else works great.

I know the sound is there to tell you the post passed which diagnostics says it has. So I'm at a lose, any other suggestions? thanks

PS. so far nothing else has been installed other then the OS and the update.

2. Carljammers thread starter macrumors newbie

didn't help

Yeah I've tried that program and it did nothing. thanks for the suggestion. maybe there is some kind of error log that needs cleared in the efi?