Startup Controlling Application

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by freebird2003, Dec 30, 2007.

1. freebird2003 macrumors member

I would like to know is there a application in mac where i can able select/deselect the startup program i want/see. There is "msconfig" in windows. i thinkin is there a program or function in leopard where i can do this.

Thanks alot.

Happy new year!!

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

System Preferences - Accounts - Login items is where you can tell the OS what applications you want to load at start up.

3. freebird2003 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for ur quick reply.

is there more advance application to handle this. how abt services? how can i enable/disable services in mac.

Thanks alot.

4. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

While it's generally not recommended procedure if you don't know what you're doing, you can use Lingon to manage launchd services. You can also use launchctl for a command line version that's bundled with OS X.

WARNING: You should be well advised that you can mess up Mac OS X if you disable the wrong things, so please be very frugal with what you disable. In fact, I would not recommend this for most home users, as it's simply not necessary and potentially disastrous. So please consider why you feel you may want to manually control a service, as it's likely the reason is moot.

Services aren't usually "always running," because launchd will dynamically start them upon request. Meaning, for example, once an ssh request comes in, if the sshd service is enabled, it will startup sshd and not before.