Startup disc full? I have 48+ GB free. Help please!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by yankeesone82, Oct 1, 2008.

1. yankeesone82 macrumors newbie

I'm on a Macbook Pro running Leopard and I have 48+ GB free, but last night and all morning I've been getting a warning periodically saying that my Startup Disc is full. When I open a finder window, it will say that I have 0 KB free, then slowly go up to 48 GB. Also, when I search for something in Finder, the search results will appear disappear and reappear continually.

I'm completely lost. If anyone could help me I'd greatly appreciate it.

2. Craigy macrumors 6502

Try restarting your machine? - It happened to me once but a restart and repaired permissions fixed it.
    Give it a try

3. pointycollars macrumors regular

It sounds like you have some kind of corrupt index - like the OS doesn't know exactly what's on the drive and has to keep "refreshing its memory" :) If you open up Activity Monitor, is the process "mdimport" chewing up large amounts of memory?

4. yankeesone82 thread starter macrumors newbie

No, I don't even see it on the list of processes running.

5. yankeesone82 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've tried restarting it. I even shut it down, rebooted and cleared the PRAM by holding Command+Option+P+R.

I have no idea what to do.

6. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

Try booting in safe mode, by holding down the shift key. It will do a file system check on the OS partition. Beware it will take longer than the usual booting, so just wait.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1564?viewlocale=en_US

If it doesn't work boot from the install discs and repair the disk with Disk Utility.