Startup disc full

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by letortugaaa, Aug 31, 2012.

1. letortugaaa macrumors newbie

I bought my Mac off a friend and once I did, I took my Macbook to an Apple store and they deleted everything off of it, wiped it clean. Now my Startup disc is very very full.

I have Finalcut and Photoshop among other Apps on my computer that I do not want to get rid of. If I put all videos, music, and photos onto an external hard drive, is there a way to wipe the computer clean without getting rid of my apps? I don't have access to my discs to load Finalcut and Photoshop again. I know there are simple ways to delete extra stuff to clear up space on the Startup disc, but if I can I'd like to just clean it all up. I also just moved to Korea so I don't have any access to a proper Apple store.

Hope to hear back, thanks!!!

2. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

I would inventory your disk for what exactly is taking up the space by using something like DiskinventoryX. This will allow you to see what is taking up the most space and you can then decide what you want to delete and what is necessary to keep.

Of course, you should always have a backup of everything in something like time machine.

3. letortugaaa thread starter macrumors newbie

Will check it out! Thanks for the help. But, I am still curious if I can pursue my original request? I'm keen on just saving what is important and trying to wipe the computer clean but keep my applications. I really hope this is possible??