Startup disc is full error message.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by brainache, Oct 8, 2012.

1. brainache macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have had my macbook pro about 6 months now but just recently replaced the HDD with a SSD. Everything has been fine up until recently I keep getting the error message to close programs as the startup disc is apparently almost full.

I did a search and used some advice I could find on here I have used Disk Inventory X, Disk Utility and then the Storage tab in the info and all are reporting that I have 73.6GB of free space.

So obviously I'm far from being out of free space so find it a bit strange for it to show this error message,

Any help would be great and sorry if I have overlooked a post covering it but I did check through a few pages of google results and haven't been successful.

2. brainache thread starter macrumors newbie

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You might try running the free Omni Disksweeper to see where your space is going?

Have you tried emptying trash? If you delete a large amount of files but don't empty the trash afterwards the will still take space.

Also, if you are using Time Machine, try turning Time Machine off then back on. That will delete and temporary local backups that take space.

4. brainache thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,

Thanks for your reply I don't have Time Machine set up and the trash is completely empty.

I've just ran Omni Disksweeper and have previously ran Disk Inventory X and both are reporting back that I have 73.6GB of space left.

It's really frustrating cause the window obviously wont go away even if I close the applications I have open. I just close it then it pops back up seconds later.

I did notice last night however that it appears to be only popping up when I have Safari open so I'm not sure whether maybe Safari is the issue causing it to pop up but it seems like that would be a bit strange.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That almost sounds like a popup ad from a web site that is being displayed. Next time it happens try hitting command-shift-4 and take a screen shoot then post it here so we can take a look.

How often does it happen? Try temporarily turning off Javascript in Safari preferences to see if that kills it. If it does, that points to a popout as from a web site. Do you notice it on any particular web site consistently?

6. brainache thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't think it's a pop up from a site purely because I can actually quit applications with it and it's automatically brought to the front even if I was to click on another open application.

[​IMG]

I don't know if this helps either but I went in Console and I have these 2 messages show up multiple times per second it seems.

09/10/2012 18:08:28.000 kernel: (default pager): [KERNEL]: ps_allocate_cluster - send HI_WAT_ALERT

09/10/2012 18:08:28.000 kernel: macx_swapon FAILED - 12

7. brainache thread starter macrumors newbie

Just bumping this thread as I still haven't managed to find a fix.
    It actually has just appeared again now after not happening since the last time I posted on this thread.
    It seems a restart keeps it at bay for a while before it comes back which is obviously good to know but it's still an issue I'd rather not happen what so ever.