Startup disk almost full notif. -- But more than 50% (95GB) free space

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by rpkersbergen123, Aug 26, 2014.

1. rpkersbergen123 macrumors newbie

Before anyone says this was answered before: I checked other threads first for similar problems: although i encountered threads with this topic before, it could always be solved by freeing up disk space. In my case that didn't work...

What i did:
    - Startup disk was indeed almost full about 7 days ago (just 2GB left +/-)
    - After that I cleaned up A LOT of disk space through Mackeeper
    - See screenshot: i have more than enough fee disk space now
    - "Startup disk almost full" message kept showing for the days after, every 30 minutes or so which is pretty annoying
    - Couple of times i got the message: "startup disk is full, unable to save file" or something like that
    - I restarted multiple times
    - Emptied trash
    - Checked forums and websites, some said the problem would "just go away" because there was a delay between the actual emptying of the trash and the notification. It has been almost 7 days now, so this seems unlikely.
    - I did disk verification: "no issues found"

Version: 10.9.4

Attached Files:

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Run the command below in Terminal (it takes a couple minutes to finish) then post the output of that command here and we can take a look where your space went. This command will show all the base folders and space used in GB.

Code:
    sudo du -d 1 -x -c -g /

3. rpkersbergen123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Herewith the screenshot... Something about "swap space" and "scrollback buffers" :confused:

My macbook is about 5 yrs. old by the way. Would this help? http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3680?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

(Not sure, i'm not so experienced in these types of issues)

Attached Files:

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You did not let the command finish. Look again in Terminal and it should be done by now, or you can run it again.

5. rpkersbergen123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Results of the terminal

Here are the results

Attached Files:

6. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

This may sound silly, but when was the last time you restarted? I'm thinking a program that's poorly coded is chewing through your swap space.

7. rpkersbergen123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Like regular restarting you mean? Almost every day.... Since the cleanup about 4-5 times.

I deleted a couple of thousand different types of files last time (about 7 days ago), images, small applications, caches, videos and i emptied trash. There wasn't any software i deleted that was larger than 10GB.

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I see nothing out of place there. Here is what I think is going on. I think those are BS messages from MacKeeper and if you uninstall it, these issues will go away.

Uninstall MacKeeper then restart and tell us what you get then.

9. rpkersbergen123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, i'm not a big fan of Mackeeper either so uninstalling won't be any issue....

The problem aren't the Mackeeper notifications though (they just happened to be in the screenshot) ... the Real problem is the mac notifications.

Just to clarify, i'm getting two notifications; first the one from Mac (in mac style etc., it's undeniable a system message). Short after i get the mackeeper message.... Both annoy me, but it seems there's a genuine problem with the disk. Uninstalling mackeeper will still trigger the mac-message.

Both the macbook notif. and the mackeeper notification are coming back (even if i select "don't show again")

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You can remove apps from Notifications in :apple:—>System Preferences—>Notifications

See if you still get the messages.

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I still think MacKeeper is causing this... even the system message.

Try this. Install iFileX to make the search for system files easier then search for the word mackeeper and delete everything is finds. Then do the same for the word zeobit and delete everything it finds.

Then restart and let's see if the problem goes away.

12. rpkersbergen123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok i'd like to give it a try. Can i remove mackeeper another way, iFileX is giving this error: "legacy image should be converted"

Thanks for all the help everyone, hope to get this sorted out :)

13. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Hmmm... odd. I just downloaded iFileX myself again from the site I linked and it opens fine. MacKeeper has all kinds of crap that runs in the background and I wonder if that is also causing this issue.

Try a boot to safe mode (hold shift key when booting). That should stop MacKeeper and any other startup or login items from running, then give iFileX another try.