Startup disk full followed by bluescreen

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by everboy, Sep 7, 2014.

1. everboy macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I've a big problem. When I tried to start my macbook air this morning it made the normal startup sound followed by the grey apple logo. But after that the computer showed me for just a few seconds that my startup disk is full followed by a blue screen. My desktop disappeared and I can't see or open my programs any more. Only a few programs that open automatically when I start my macbook appear.

I can't delete things to clean up the startup disk. Does anybody knows what to do?

2. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

Were you aware that your disk was getting full? Do you have something like a Carbon Copy Cloner image of your system on an external drive, from which you can boot and perform at least some rudimentary cleanup?

3. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

Try to boot into safe mode, you may able to clean up your disk at there.

4. rezenclowd3 macrumors 6502a

rezenclowd3

Undoing the work of Priuses: burning gas & rubber
    NOTE: as this is caused by too full of an SSD/HDD, you have 3 options: A) remove enough data. B) move data to another drive. C) buy bigger drive. You may or may not have to do the steps below 1-5.

1: I would backup your computer using Carbon Copy Cloner to another drive if you have the means (ie bootable HD with CCC on it and enough space for a disk image) if you don't already have a backup.

2: run Diskwarrior and rebuild directories. If you don't have it, buy it. It is an invaluable tool. If it cannot, try to repair the SSD using disk util in a good known OS, even if it fails, Diskwarrior may be able to run then.

3:At this point, your computer may or may not work. If it still does not, reinstall the OS using the recovery partition. Your data SHOULD be safe, but alas this is why you should have a backup.

4: if there are still problems, I would wipe the SSD and do a migration or manual migration of your data.

5: if this is all too complex, consult your nearest AASP (Apple Authorized Service Provider) which can be found using the Apple website. I avoid the Apple Stores as they do not deal with data.