Startup Disk Full

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by KariChaan, Jan 3, 2009.

1. KariChaan macrumors newbie

Alright, so I am new to Mac; I just got a fancy new Macbook for Christmas. Today I started getting a message saying that my Startup Disk was almost full for some reason. I checked to see how much space was available and I've got 248GB free, so.. I'm not quite sure. Maybe it's just something simple that I don't know about yet?

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I wouldn't worry about it unless it becomes a recurring problem. Sometimes things just go awry...

That's some small text you've got there.

3. KariChaan thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, it keeps popping up every so often. There's a place I can check if I don't want it to pop up, but the issue kind of concerns me.

Maybe I'll bring it in to school Monday and have our Digital Art teacher look at it? He's claimed to be a pro with Macs.

I just don't want to ignore it, you know? :/

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Hmm, that's odd. That'd definitely fit my definition of a "recurring problem". ;)

Is your hard drive partitioned?

5. KariChaan thread starter macrumors newbie

6. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Hmm, it's an odd one. I'd be inclined to say there's a log or cache file that is intermittently choking things up, but I have never heard of a 248 GB log file. I guess you could try running in Terminal:

sudo rm /.Trashes

But I really don't know that that will do a lot. Maybe somebody else has some ideas? :eek:

7. katiebee macrumors newbie

okay I believe that I am having the same problem at first it wouldn't even let me save word files but then i turned the computer off then back on now i just can't add itunes songs I do not have a lot of stuff so idk what the problem is a friend of mine suggested leaving my laptop open and running overnight so i am going to do that tonight i have a question on the apple support site so i will give you the link so you can see what people have said there! i have also heard of a few more people with this problem and i don't know what to do!

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1851583&tstart=0

8. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution