Startup disk is almost full notice! Help!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sayyruhh, Dec 4, 2008.

1. sayyruhh macrumors newbie

So I've been getting the "Your startup disk is almost full" warning notice pretty frequently for about a couple months now, and I just keep deleting files and applications. It's gotten to the point now that I have nothing else to do delete because I basically use most of the stuff I have on my computer, unless there is something I'm missing. I was thinking, there has to be an easier way to clean out your startup disk, I just don't know how. Can anyone help me? Thank you so much!

2. NeGRit0 macrumors 6502a

NeGRit0

I am getting the same 'error' message. I just got :apple:TV and have begun converting the avi files from my WinXP desktop so i can import them into my iTUnes and then of course to the :apple:TV it goes from there. Last night i fell asleep with Visual Hub running and when i woke up i only had had like 2.3MB of HD space left, so i cleaned up the drive, and went back to sleep. Now its the next day and im home from work and i got the 'error' message again, but this time i have 6GB free on my HD... What gives???

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Try an application called Delocalizer to remove all foreign language support files.

Do you use Garageband? Deleting it and its loop files are good for a couple of GBs.

Delete all printer drivers you don't need.

Get Onyx and clean out all caches from your system.

Trash software you don't use. Come on, we all have crap we don't ever use.

4. NeGRit0 macrumors 6502a

NeGRit0

5. sayyruhh thread starter macrumors newbie

Hm when I try to download Delocalizer it says it isn't available anymore. Is there anything that can replace that?

6. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Your startup disk = your boot drive = your HD is your startup disk.;)

Your system requires a certain amount of free space on your boot drive for internal use- swap files, etc., so when the free space falls below a predefined percentage of your disk's capacity it will throw that notice up. Anytime your free space falls below are bare minimum of 10% (and many consider 15-20% a safer limit) there is an increased likelihood of system slowdowns and other problems, so more space needs to be freed up and maintained.

This notice is not thrown up at the same point on a non-startup disk BTW- an external drive, for instance, that you are not starting up from.

Try a free program like Disk Inventory X or Grand Perspective to see where your space is being used and where some more free space could be saved in order to the see the message disappear (for the time being at least! ;))

7. sayyruhh thread starter macrumors newbie

I downloaded Disk Inventory and when I ran it it said that Previous Systems is taking up most of my space. What is previous systems? Do I need it or can I delete it? Thank you!

8. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Previous Systems are leftovers from when you did an Archive and Install of your operating system. That installed a fresh copy of your OS and moved all of your data to the Previous Systems folder. If you've copied that data over to your current install, backed it up elsewhere, or just don't need it anymore, you can just delete the Previous Systems folder.

9. sayyruhh thread starter macrumors newbie

Hm. How do I know if I've copied it over? Sorry, I'm not that smart with this kind of stuff. Lol!