Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danielsamuels

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
This is a strange one..
With 160GB free on my iMac, Leopard seems to think I'm running out of disk space.

The little box popped up twice today, but it makes no sense for it to come up.

Any ideas?

madog

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2004
Korova Milkbar
Open up your Macintosh HD and at the bottom of that window it will tell you how much free disk space is available. Otherwise, if you highlight the Mac HD, and go to the File menu, Get Info, it will tell you everything.

Leopard itself can take up 10-30gbs or so, depending on if it's the stock install (which has extra language packages), or if you installed the extra loops for GarageBand, so on and so forth. So it can add up quickly.

If you use bittorrent, it can add up even quicker. If you have iTunes saving and using its own library (default setting) then you could have duplicates laying around from downloads.

You could have one of those run-away log files that isn't properly deleting itself in which it keeps bloating up and eating space. Run an app like Cocktail or Onyx to delete all log files.

Even if you have "enough" space available, you typically want like 10-20% free for system/application use (if not, then a couple gigs free is always nice to have) on your boot drive.

danielsamuels

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Yeah, like I said in my original post, I have 160GB free - there is no way it's near capacity. It just doesn't make sense.

Open up your Macintosh HD and at the bottom of that window it will tell you how much free disk space is available. Otherwise, if you highlight the Mac HD, and go to the File menu, Get Info, it will tell you everything.

Leopard itself can take up 10-30gbs or so, depending on if it's the stock install (which has extra language packages), or if you installed the extra loops for GarageBand, so on and so forth. So it can add up quickly.

If you use bittorrent, it can add up even quicker. If you have iTunes saving and using its own library (default setting) then you could have duplicates laying around from downloads.

You could have one of those run-away log files that isn't properly deleting itself in which it keeps bloating up and eating space. Run an app like Cocktail or Onyx to delete all log files.

Even if you have "enough" space available, you typically want like 10-20% free for system/application use (if not, then a couple gigs free is always nice to have) on your boot drive.

BobZune

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
USA
Use disk utility and Verify the DISK. See if there are any errors. If there are, you may want to boot from the OS X DVD and do a disk repair.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.