Startup Disk is Full and Don't Know Why

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SariMayer, Mar 20, 2012.

1. SariMayer macrumors newbie

Recently I have been getting a pop up that instructs me to delete files on my startup disk, but I had no idea what that meant. I searched online for some guidance, but none of their suggestions seemed to help. According to about my mac, "other" is taking up nearly all of the space on my macintosh hd (298.56 GB)--what can this "other" be and how do i get rid of it? Please help!!!

2. tyler510 macrumors newbie

Well for iOS devices, other is mostly the stuff that gets messed up when you disconnect it from syncing. No idea about what it is on Mac. What i woyld do is back up your important data, (preferably using timemachine) and do a system restore. It may seem like at lot of trouble but some file must have gotten corrupted over and over (what??:confused::confused:)

3. Nads786 macrumors member

do you have file vault activated? If you do its taking up this additional space. I would suggest you to get an external drive and transfer all your important data on to it and then take it to genuis. When I went they gave me no option but to create a new user name having me lose all my data. (thank god i backed it all up).

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you're wondering what "Other" category in the Lion storage tab is about, this may help explain:
    For space issues not explained by the above, there are a few things you can try, some of which may or may not apply:
    Here are a few resolutions found by others with the same question: