Startup Disk is Full

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by FRESHCORN, Nov 12, 2011.

1. FRESHCORN macrumors newbie

I keep getting the message that my startup disk is full. I tried deleting a lot of files and emptying my trash, but that didn't help. When I look at how my memory is being used, it says that I have "Zero KB free out of 499.25GB", and this is how it is being used:
    Audio- 43.93 GB
    Movies- 9.56 GB
    Photos- 1.38 GB
    Apps- 4.58 GB
    Backups- Zero KB
    Other- 439.8 GB
    So, I'm assuming that "other" is the problem, and I can't figure out what "other" is. I've tried downloading OmniDiskSweeper, but because my Startup Disk is full and I can't seem to make more space by deleting things, I can't download it. So basically I'm in a very aggravating pickle, and I would really appreciate some help.

2. JavaTheHut macrumors 6502

JavaTheHut

Just going to have a wild stab at this and its not to be considered an insult - Has your trash been emptied ever?

3. Loa macrumors 65816

Loa

4. FRESHCORN thread starter macrumors newbie

Read the second sentence dude.

----------

Yep, Im using Lion.

5. FRESHCORN thread starter macrumors newbie

I figured it out!

I deleted the caches on my browser and that freed up enough room to download OmniDiskSweeper, and then I used that and discovered that I had hundreds of gigs of deleted and recovered emails in Mail! So I deleted those, and now everything is honky-dory! Hopefully this helps some other people!

6. Loa macrumors 65816

Loa

Hello,

Glad to see that you found the culprit.

Since you're using Lion, the OS will keep "hidden" versions of the files you delete. Look it up if you think it's a problem as there's a way to turn this "feature" off.

Loa