Startup disk is full?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by yg17, Jul 12, 2009.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I was using my Macbook awhile ago and I got a popup message saying my startup disk is full, even though I have 84.05 gigs available. I figured it was a fluke and ignored it. A bit later, I was doing some stuff in Finder and noticed at the bottom where it says my drive's free space, it suddenly went from 84.05 GB free, to zero free, gave me the error message, and went back up to 84.05 gigs free, and it's done this a couple times...and the only thing I was doing was copying a 3 KB text file from a thumb drive. Anyone know WTF is up with that? It definitely is strange and I've never seen it before. I just ran a Verify in Disk Utility and everything checks out, no errors. Thanks in advance

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Are you by chance trying to do anything that might be trying to create an 85GB file?

3. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

Not unless the 3 KB text file I was copying from a thumb drive decided to fatten itself up a little bit ;)

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Get a disk inventory visualizer to see if there's anything obvious taking up all the space. That's very strange that it goes away periodically, though.