startup disk not found after datadoubler installed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ccahill, Feb 3, 2013.

1. ccahill macrumors newbie

hi all,

i recently removed my macbook pro's (mid 2010, lion, 8GB, 256GB SSD) cd drive to make way for an extra internal hdd. i have an ssd as the primary disk and installed a 1TB 5400 sata drive for storage. everything went fine and worked a treat.

then one night while using the laptop it suddenly died like the power had been turned off, screen went black etc. i hit the power button and when the screen came back on i got the folder and blinking question mark.

i tried all the usual fixes but nothing worked. the startup disk wasn't being recognized. i opened up and took the storage disk out, putting the startup disk in its place. that worked and the mac returned to normal, but the storage disk now where the boot startup disk was wasnt seen.

i did some research the saw that sata cables sometimes be the culprit so ordered a new one. that arrived today and i have just installed it to see that it is back to its old self, startup disk in the original position not being seen, blinking question mark etc.

i know the startup disk isnt dead because when i put it in the bay where the cd drive was, it is seen and starts up and i have my mac back no problem.

is there anything else i can try? does this mean the mainboard as far as the cable connectors at the first position hdd bay is fried?

any help appreciated.
    craig

2. seveej macrumors 6502a

seveej

Well, it sure seems as if the logic board is to blame (as it ain't the disk and it ain't the cable) .
    It could be the primary SATA connector, or it could be the primary SATA's power (which runs through the same cable (the fact that the machine went black suddenly would point to a power issue...)

If your mac came with grey disks, one of them might contain Apple Hardware Test (AHT), which you could test to see what it says.

Also, you could see, what system profiler says under "Serial-ATA".

RGDS,