Startup doesn't get past password screen

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Aristides, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Aristides macrumors newbie

After booting in safe mode, my MacBook Pro doesn't load the desktop/applications properly. Whenever I enter the password it asks me for the password again.

Series of events:
    I connected external drives for the first time in Apple Bootcamp/Windows. They did not mount and Windows froze whenever I connected the drives. I tried it a few times, each time using the power button for turning the computer off. After a couple of trials the screen color was very weird (psychedelic) and I noticed that the computer had gotten hot (in Windows my fans don't work as they should) and I restarted the in OSX 10.4. The psychedelic colors were still present and the temperature reading was 71 degrees (smc control software). Searching forums in a panic that I might have fried my video card partially I found and followed a description on how to change the screen from "color" to "grey" under System Preferences>Universal access. This did not help as the psychedelic color/pixelness still persisted. Even worse, when I restarted the computer, the above mentioned problem occured (not getting the proper desktop, I can't run any application or shut the computer down, it always tries to reload the desktop after a couple of seconds).

What I tried so far:
    -I resetted the PRAM using the Command, Option, P, and R keys and waiting for two additional startup sounds. Result: the psychedelic color is gone, it looks normal. But still cycles between grey and color during the desktop stall.
    -I repaired my startup disk with the OSX installation disk...no repairs were necessary
    -I repaired permissions with the installation disk...lots of repairs were made, but no success upon reboot
    -I started the computer in safe mode...result: I don't get past the password screen. As soon as I enter the password it asks me for it again.

Any help would be highly appreciated. I hope I don't need to reinstall the OS and all applications.

2. Aristides thread starter macrumors newbie

re-installation finished sucessfully, problem persists

Today I used the installation discs to re-install OSX Tiger (using the archive option). It finished successfully. However, the problem persists: After the progress bar finishes loading Mac OSX, the grayscale desktop screen appears. It tries starting startup applications for a while (e.g. Skype) then a blank blue screen appears. Following that the colorscale (blue) desktop screen appears, which then switches to grayscale. Then it continues cycling through blank blue, blue desktop, gray desktop screens, always trying to load applications for a few seconds. Bootcamp/WindowsXP still works fine, so I don't think it is hardware related.

Could anyone please help??

3. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

When you booted your OSX dvd did you run diskutility and verify the hdd ?

4. Aristides thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I ran disk utility from the installation disc before re-installation. No disk repairs were necessary. However, very many permission repairs were made.

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

This sounds like Finder or loginwindow crashing repeatedly, restarting, and crashing again. This is obviously not good, as it will fill up your disk with log files and crash reports. I'm not sure how best to diagnose a problem like this, without another Mac and a FireWire cable.

6. Aristides thread starter macrumors newbie

wrldwzrd89, if you could let me know how to diagnose with a second mac that would be great. I have a working four-month old clone of my hard drive that starts up fine.

7. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

What you need to do is this:
    1. Connect Mac 1 (problem Mac) to Mac 2 (good Mac) with a FireWire cable, while Mac 1 is off and Mac 2 on.
    2. Boot Mac 1 into FireWire target disk mode.
    3. Mac 1 should mount as a drive on Mac 2.
    Once that's done remote diagnostics can be run from Mac 2, such as viewing Mac 1's log files, running Disk Utility, etc.
    How to boot an Intel-based Mac into FireWire Target Disk Mode

8. kate-willbury macrumors 6502a

9. Aristides thread starter macrumors newbie

I am not sure whether I understand. How is that different from running disk utility from the installation disk (which I already did)? What should I look for in the log files?

10. Aristides thread starter macrumors newbie