Startup Drive Not Recognized. Cant Boot OSX

Discussion in 'macOS' started by atarigraffx, Jul 11, 2011.

1. atarigraffx macrumors member

I can't seem to boot into OSX at all. I was using Snow Leopard just fine one day and then it started acting strange so I restarted my computer and it stopped booting up. When I restart my computer now it just boots into Windows, I put Windows on my machine a long time ago but never use it.

I tried unplugging all my peripheral webcam, external drives, wacom tablet but it didnt help. I tried booting from my install disc and running a disk utility on my startup drive, it doesn't even show up.

I have a internal 250GB hard drive with OSX installed and I have a 500GB internal hard drive with a Windows partition. The disk utility only recognizes my 500GB drive.

I also have a external hard drive that backs up everything using time machine.

2. davidlv macrumors 65816

What Mac are you talking about? Sounds like a Mac Pro since you have 2 HDs, but it could another model.
    Sounds like a dead HD, hope you have a recent backup.
    You can try disconnecting the drive and reconnecting it in the hope that the issue is due to a bad connection, but I doubt that will help.

Buy a new drive and install it, and then use the OSX Install DVD to install the OS and the migration assistant to use the Time Machine backup to restore your data, etc.

3. atarigraffx thread starter macrumors member

It's a early Mac Pro, thanks for the advice. I'll try and open her up later, see if the drive can reset by unplugging it. If that doesn't work I guess I'll have to buy another internal drive.