startup error? Help! How to fix this?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ballnluv23, Oct 13, 2008.

1. ballnluv23 macrumors newbie

So I have a new MBP that was bought brand new from an Apple Store about 5 months ago. Here is the problem:

When I boot up the computer (press the power button), I see a gray screen with the apple logo, and after 5-10 seconds, the screen just stays that clearish/grayish/silvery color with no apple logo or anything. Just a blank screen. I'll wait and wait, but it never continues on to my login screen; instead, the screen continues to stay blank.

I'll have to manually power down the computer, and start up again.

After 3-4 times of doing this process, the MBP will FINALLY do the usual startup process and proceed to the login menu screen, and then into the MAC OS desktop upon entering USER information.

What is going on here? I have Applecare. Should I call in the problem, and hopefully get the NEW MBP that is coming out tomorrow as a replacement? What are your thoughts Mac fans? Help!

2. nickcliborne macrumors regular

I would start by doing a SMC reset.

Here's the procedure:
    MacBook, MacBook Pro

1. If the computer is on, turn it off.
    2. Disconnect the AC Adapter and remove the computer's battery.
    3. Press and hold down the power button for 5 seconds and then release the button.
    4. Reconnect the battery and AC Adapter.
    5. Press the Power button to restart the computer.

official link
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1411

3. JediMeister macrumors 68040

I'd check for login items or startup items which could interfere with the normal boot process. Login items can be found in your Accounts pane of system preferences, and the StartupItems folder can be found in Macintosh HD/Library/StartupItems. You could also attempt a safe boot and then restart to clear the cache items. AppleCare will probably not replace the system, unless you've had several hardware repairs to the system in the last year or so.

4. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

yeah...try the SMC reset above. mine did that very thing once and it fixed it. never has happen again. weird!