Startup error?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by charliestuart, Nov 21, 2010.

1. charliestuart macrumors newbie

Hi, Ive recently been noticing slow boot times on my new macbook pro late 2010 13". So i booted in verbose mode and while there may have been a few things (i haven't looked into it yet) ive noticed the thing that lags the most is:
    launchctl: please convert to launchd and its about the dashboardadvisoryd. Now i have managed to locate the folder its in and can see the file but do not know for the life of me how to convert it to launchd so what i am asking is does anyone know how to convert items from launchctl to launchd (if possible) or how to fix this specific error?

All help is greatly appreciated, thanks, charlie.

2. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

3. charliestuart thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow! thankyou both for the fast reply, I have already done a while of googling this particular problem and have been going in circles for ages, however ive googled lots of problems in the past and have seen this is a good place to get some info when needed hence me joining this site today, I really dont mean that maliciously just ive seen both those links and many others just no solution has been posted anywhere at least where ive looked.
    Again thanks for the quick replies guys.

4. charliestuart thread starter macrumors newbie

Does anybody know if its possible to convert these files to launchd or anyone know how to stop this error occuring. This is really the main cause of my macbook taking maybe 3 or 4 times longer to be usable from the point when the power button is pressed and i need it for production purposes and for college so long boot times are a no no. When i had a pc i used to love spending days at a time making it boot quicker and quicker but my mac is becoming slower and slower:( Not good.

Thanks again and as always help is very much appreciated

5. charliestuart, Nov 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2010

charliestuart thread starter macrumors newbie

Slow Startup

Im having a really slow boot time is there anything i can post (logs etc.) that anyone would be able to get info from to tell me why its booting so slowly?

MOD EDIT: Threads merged. Please only one thread per topic. Thanks.

6. Str8edgepunker macrumors 6502

How slow? Time it, then post the console log.

7. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

What seems slow to you might actually be average - can you time how long it takes and then post it? My MBP usually takes about 30 seconds to get to the login window, and another 30 for everything to start up.

8. charliestuart, Nov 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2010

charliestuart thread starter macrumors newbie

Thankyou so much, How do i post console log and it takes around 2 minutes and it used to take around 30s from when the power button was pressed. thanks again

also when i boot its already using around 1100 mb ram this used to be half of that?

Anyone know how to copy a console log (is this the log from when i start in verbose mode)??

Please someone help i really dont want to do a re-install of the OS its causing a big annoyance and i am considdering doing this now as i cant find any answers.