Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LadyNinja

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 6, 2020
Norway
Normal for the fans to kick in when startup? This one gives a short grinding noise, every other startup. Sometimes without the grinding noise, but alway the fan spinning. The grinding is concerning... The fans starts first, then when the apple logo is half way, the grinding sound start. Both are gone when the machine shows the wallpaper.

sound

LadyNinja

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 6, 2020
Norway
Thanks for letting me know!
Hope this one work

0:05

Nicole1980

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2010
Thanks for letting me know!
Hope this one work

0:05

View attachment 974408

I dont have to even listen to it to tell you that fans spinning up on boot and a 'grinding' sound is not at all normal. Were it me, I'd do a full return of the thing and exchange it for another one.

You could spend some long and frustrating visits to apple repair before (IF) its ever fixed.

Once a lemon, always a lemon.

LadyNinja

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 6, 2020
Norway
What about the fan starting while apple logo is present? My ramps up, then goes down, before the loading screen is complete. I my have thought it would be normal for the fan to kick in, at its idle 1200 rpm, but at the loading screen it goes higher, then back down.

Im so unsure about the machine. Both ps and bridge is having problems. How can I tell its the software or not. Adobe is known for its issues. But I either see no difference or even worse, from my stock 2012. Its laging and the image is partial disappearing when adjusting sliders. I´ll post it in a new thread.

SIMPLE QUESTION TO ALL, DOES YOUR FAN RAM UP AT HIGHER SPEED THAN THE IDLE, AT STARTUP?

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
the fan at startup is not normal. sounds like you should reset your SMC

9DFF8214-A763-4688-A00E-5EE7B2AFC4D5.jpeg

I know nothing about Adobe products

LadyNinja

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 6, 2020
Norway
My next step is to wipe everything. Really dont wanna lose all settings in the different programs. Guess a backup would not make sense, if the noise did go away.

Also the grinding is not there all the times. Pretty much almost, but some of the times its not. And all I have done is to shut it down and on again.
But the fan comes in, every time.

LadyNinja

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 6, 2020
Norway
Sad part is, this is the secound unit.... First was the glitch problem, now this. 1 month waiting both times.

aligate

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2015
What about the fan starting while apple logo is present? My ramps up, then goes down, before the loading screen is complete. I my have thought it would be normal for the fan to kick in, at its idle 1200 rpm, but at the loading screen it goes higher, then back down.

Im so unsure about the machine. Both ps and bridge is having problems. How can I tell its the software or not. Adobe is known for its issues. But I either see no difference or even worse, from my stock 2012. Its laging and the image is partial disappearing when adjusting sliders. I´ll post it in a new thread.

SIMPLE QUESTION TO ALL, DOES YOUR FAN RAM UP AT HIGHER SPEED THAN THE IDLE, AT STARTUP?
I have a 2019 27 inch with the same issue. During boot, the fan ramps up, sometimes up and down in rpm. Once log in screen appears fan ramps down. I dont want to pursue this issue until it's obviously out of whack and can be demonstrated.

Nicole1980

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2010
Send it back then
Exactly. Run away from that POS as fast as you can. Apple is so good about taking returns for defective machines that NO ONE should sit on a questionable product, hoping it'll get better. Do a full exchange for a new unit and hopefully the new one won't be defective as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.