Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 22, 2001
I have a dual ghz powermac, 200 gig hard drive, 768 megs of ram, 10.2.6. When I login to my account I have to wait 1 minute for the mac to be responsive. It takes 30 seconds to open programs. Then after about a minute it gets back to top speed. This doesn't happen in other accounts. I ran a quick top in terminal and there is a process called "idle_process" using 120%+ of processor, I killed it, and the mac was back to how it should be. What is spawning this process? How can I stop it?

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
I hope this isnn't over simplyfying but have oyu checked your logiin items in sys prefs. Sometimes when you install shareware it leaves programs in there and your mac may look for it.

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 22, 2001
That was one of the first places I looked, I have a script I wrote to connect to the net there (works in the other account) an iChat script that puts the song I am currently playing as my status, and LCCDaemon a control program of some sort for my Logitech mouse, I'll update those (just found new drivers) and get back to you.

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 22, 2001
Here it is: A pic of the problem, updating both of those apps made no difference.

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
what's curious about the information for that idle_thread is that it starts running before the kernel does, there is the #TH number, it's got the same process number as kernel_task, and is not displaying any other system resources.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.