Startup Manager shows randomly on 2012 Mini

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by tomdz, Jan 25, 2015.

1. tomdz macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I have a strange issue with my 2012 Mini. Once in a few boots, usually every 1-2 days, instead of loading the system immediately, the Mini ends up in the startup manager. All partitions are there but I need to select the sys partition manually to continue. All works fine afterwards, no Startup Manager during the next boot up either.
    I have tried resetting the NVRAM and SMC without success, the issue keeps returning.
    The mini is running OS X 10.10.1 off a Samsung 850 Pro SSD.
    Any ideas?

2. Celerondon macrumors 6502a

Celerondon

Keyboard Problem?

A sticking Option key could cause this problem. You could try another keyboard to eliminate or identify the keyboard as the source.

3. tomdz thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply, Celerondon.

I don't really have an extra keyboard to verify, but the Apple Wireless I own is new (just as the Mac Mini), batteries are ok and there are absolutely no issues with the keyboard in regular use.

I actually thought that 10.10.2 had resolved the problem cause since updating on day one I had not seen it once. Until today...

When it happens, instead of the Apple splash being shown almost immediately, a white screen is visible for quite a few seconds. Then the Startup Manager comes up with all the drives available.

4. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

A sticky Option key should also cause some abnormal behavior while in the OS. How often does the boot menu appear, every boot or just occasionally?

5. tomdz thread starter macrumors newbie

It's occasional.

I used to see it every 1-2 days when I had two HDD enclosures connected to USB ports. Then I unplugged the drives at the other end, leaving the hanging cords still connected to the Mac but there was no significant change. I thought things had improved though once I disconnected the USB cables altogether - I had not seen the problem for a couple of days.

Then I installed 10.10.2, did not reproduce the issue for a while and since the update actually fixed another annoying bug (audio balance becoming off after each boot) I decided to give it a try and connected everything back. For another few days everything was just fine. Until today...