Startup Noise from MacBook SR/2.2 GHz

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by suresh31, Nov 28, 2007.

1. suresh31 macrumors regular

There is a weird noise coming from MacBook whenever i start my New MacBook(SR/2.2GHz/4GB RAM). Is there any fix for this?

I just bought this 2 weeks ago.

2. suresh31 thread starter macrumors regular

Its kind of weird paying $2K for the laptop and get these annoying noises during the startup. I am sure somebody would have found how to fix this. :confused:

3. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Everyone gets that noise.. its the DVD drive checking if theres a disc I think...

4. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

I've noticed that when I turn on my Mac, an operating system shows up. What's going on? This didn't happen on my dell. :D

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Welcome to the existence of every slot loading Mac.

6. suresh31 thread starter macrumors regular

I am new to Mac. I choose not to buy anymore damn windows machines and now i am disappointed with this.

Well, You get what you pay for, doesn't work here. :mad:

7. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Are you serious man... the sound lasts for like 2 seconds, and your complaining.

I'm new to Mac aswell, and this isn't bothering me at all since it's only on Startup/Awake (but rarely on awake)

8. Muzzway macrumors regular

I feel for ya, it's pretty annoying.

Bearable though, and probably just takes some getting used to.

(talking about the optical drive sounds)

9. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I am still wondering if you are referring to the start up chime or the DVD spin up. There is a way to shut off the start up chime. I think you can find something on it in the Apple discussion forums. Apple.com/support. If it's the DVD drive, then I guess you could open 'er up and unplug the drive, granted you will not have a DVD drive after that.

10. ericsthename macrumors regular

Is it a sound from the optical drive? My macbook pro hisses from the speakers, just before the "bong". its weird, but my old macbook pro did the same thing.

11. suresh31 thread starter macrumors regular

I am not sure what is making noise but its right after i press the power button. I am sure it must either be HD or SuperDrive.

12. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

If you hold down the eject button on the keyboard while in Leopard, thats the exact sound you get when you start up, no?

13. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Thats the sound of the drive initializing. Thats a good thing. It means it's working. Without initializing the drive may not function properly.

14. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

You can go back if you don't like it. I thought it was wierd at first. Asked a few mbp and mb owners and they said it's normal.

regular tray cddrives do it to but you can't hear it. It's just the motor. If it bugs you THAT much, I'm sure vista will welcome you back.

15. pmallstars macrumors newbie

Noises from drive startup/awake

I'm just very surprised everyone is so accepting of this problem. It is a problem because it's very loud. I think the real problem wasn't perfectly explained. When my macbook starts up, or awakes from sleep mode, the DVD drive makes a series (3 or 4) of loud ejecting sounds in a row. I have never had this problem until recently. It's NOT normal. I do have leopard, but I've had it installed for about a month and this only started happening last week. I will find the solution for this, but wanted to say that I'm a little upset people in this forum are saying "live with it." That's not an answer. If you're on a quiet film set, or in the middle of a meeting, or just somewhere you need to turn on your computer and don't want it makes weird noises, this is not acceptable. It's actually embarrassing. If I'm the only one who feels this way then I apologize, but this needs to be fixed. I'll re-post when I find the solution.

16. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Sadly it's not a problem. The operating system is checking to see if you've inserted a disc after waking from sleep. Apple even provides documentation that this is normal behavior of no concern.

My iMacs (Tiger) did and and my MacBook (Leopard) does as well.

17. Spongey817 macrumors regular

With all due respect to those who are seriously complaining about a one to two second noise upon startup...it's not THAT bad. In fact, it's not bad at all. I can't see disliking a computer for a brief, required sound when turned on.

Again, I see how this may aggravate some...but be realistic, its not a big deal.

18. Nitromaster macrumors 6502

got my macbook last friday, thought this sound was on every mac so was happy to live with it. (When you have your first mac and no longer have to use windoze is a great thing :D )

However, some members posted they don't have a sound? just some dvd models?

from my experience the teachers in my school don't have the noise on their models, (pre nov 07), neither when turning it on or awaking from sleep.

The noise is pretty annoying, is there any way to disable the automatic disk check or even disable the dvd drive?
    (I have basically no use for the dvd drive,)

19. aaron.lee2006 macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

I'm sorry but this thread is absolutely ridiculous. The computer is functioning the way it is supposed to! All optical drives make this noise. The computer has to detect whether or not there is a disc in the computer! Stop whining and get used to it!!!

:apple:<3

20. Spongey817 macrumors regular

About sums it up, thanks

21. pmallstars macrumors newbie

Startup Noise answer

As I said I would do, I have found the solution to the noise. Now I know all you amazing nerds out there didn't believe it wasn't normal, but it was not. Whether or not you understand the words I previously wrote or not, will probably never be determined. For those of you who have had the same problem I have had there is a very simple fix. The noises that occur can be remedied by putting a cdrom into the drive and ejecting it properly. If it doesn't eject by hitting eject on the keyboard or in Finder, then restart your computer and hold down the mouse button while it's starting. The cause of the noise was the computer believing there was a disc in the drive and trying to read it every time you wake the computer from sleep or start it up... but there was nothing to read. The computer tries 4 times before giving up. Although this seems really simple (note the computer nerds didn't get it, they said it was normal), not many people use their cd drives much anymore (hence the invention of the Macbook Air) so it took me that long to figure it out. I'm interested to know if this solves the problem on the other computers that had the same problem I did. This fixed my computer and it no longer makes the noises. IT WAS NOT NORMAL. Computer nerds don't always know what they're talking about.
    Sincerly,
    A normal guy that had a problem everyone here said was normal.

22. jettredmont macrumors 68030

Thanks!

Our MacBook Pro, bought just a few weeks ago, has had this problem since we took it out of the box, occurring not just "sometimes" on wake, but always. It did go away when we put a CD-ROM in and ejected it, but then it came back a day or two later.

To the original detractors, note that http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1723?viewlocale=en_US provides a sample of the noise (see first sample), although not repeated 4 times. It also says that the volume on this sample is equivalent to placing your ear directly on the drive. I turned the speakers all the way up and played it, and the noise coming from the actual drive is easily 4 times louder. I've had several MacBook Pros (although of previous generations) at work, and a MacBook (black) and iMac at home. None of them make this noise.

For me, I think we'll need to take it in to the Apple Store to have them check it out.