Startup options on external monitor.

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by skolhustick, Mar 6, 2015.

1. skolhustick macrumors newbie

I have a Macbook Air Mid 2013 running Yosemite. My main display is broken due to an accident, but I have been successfully using an external display (thunderbolt to HDMI or thunderbolt to VGA, both works, no problem).

I wanted to make a Bootcamp installation and I have no problems with creating the USB and such.

The problem is, I can never get the startup options screen (after pressing 'option' on chime) to be displayed on the external monitor. My external monitors only pick up the display once I get into the user selection for MacOSX.

Using a few tricks, I have managed to get the monitor to display Recovery Mode(command + R), but never the Startup Disk selection menu. I sort of need Windows at the moment, and this is driving me nuts.

So I need to know, how to force the Mac to show the boot up / startup screen / startup disk selection / apple logo :apple: / on an external monitor?

Thank you.

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

With the external monitor connected, press the power button and immediately slam the lid back down before the startup chime is heard.

Also, make sure that you're plugged in. Clamshell mode only works when MagSafe is connected.

3. skolhustick thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your suggestion. Well it works for entering the Recovery Mode. But not to the Startup Manager. I have tried with both VGA and HDMI displays. Any other suggestion?

----------

Thank you for your suggestion. Well it works for entering the Recovery Mode. But not to the Startup Manager. I have tried with both VGA and HDMI displays. Any other suggestion?

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Weird. I got the startup manager running perfectly on my Dell S2240L via HDMI on my rMBP.