Startup problem

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by wahei-no-tenshi, Mar 11, 2011.

1. wahei-no-tenshi macrumors newbie

Hi,

I think my macbook had a problem while installing a recent update, and now it always gets stuck during startup (at gray screen with the apple logo). I've tried using disk utility to repair disk/permissions as well as going into single-user mode and running fsck -f, both to no avail. Tried booting in safe mode, but it fails. Now, there's a couple of things I'm wondering...

1. I've read that installing a combo update can sometimes correct damage caused during updates, but is there any way I can install it pre-startup (via a flash drive or something)?

2. My next option would be to archive and install, but will this work if I only have my original OS X install disc which is 10.4 (and I'm currently running 10.6)? And will I lose anything on my HDD in the process??

Any advice/help would be much appreciated, thanks.

2. eman macrumors 6502a

Run 10.6 Snow Leopard again and everything should remain the same on your HD.

3. wahei-no-tenshi thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. I went out and got a new snow leopard disc, but now when I try to reinstall snow leopard it says, "Mac OS X couldn't be installed on this disk","The contents of this disk can't be changed".

Any idea why that's happening, or how it can be fixed?

4. eman macrumors 6502a

Are you sure you're running 10.6 Snow Leopard already? If so, just click on the HD that has 10.6 and load the OS.