Startup Problems (Windows 7)

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Verix, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Verix macrumors regular

I'm currently using a 13 inch MBP with standalone windows 7 on the hard disk.
    For some reason, when I boot up the laptop it just gets stuck in a white screen (sometimes a folder with a question mark gets displayed).
    To boot up, I need to hold the alt button, select windows (the ONLY option...) and hit enter.

Is there any way to edit the boot mechanism in any way to get windows to boot up automatically?

I tried the Mac OS install disk "Startup utility" but there's no Windows to select.

Also, when the Mac OS install disk is in the drive, I boot up, hit alt and select Windows; it will load the Mac DVD anyway and get stuck somewhere.
    So basically, the laptop is desperately trying to boot the Mac OS :p ...

Anyone who had this occur / any advice? Thanks in advance.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Set the Startup Disk to Windows using the Boot Camp icon in Control Panel.

B

3. Verix thread starter macrumors regular

I have tried that, it REboots fine but when I turn the laptop completely off, the problems occur again :(

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Zap PRAM and try it again just for fun.

Do you have any phantom partitions floating around? How did you install Windows/remove OS X?

B

5. Verix thread starter macrumors regular

Still occuring :( this all started happening after cloning the HD to my new SSD C:/ to C:/ Cloning, could it be thatthe EFI boot is looking for the old drive?
    Any way to remove this "phantom" partition?

OS x is installed on a USB hard drive for when I need it.

Thanks in advance!

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

What is your current drive configuration? Hardware and partitions?

How did you clone it?

You may also just want to run a startup repair from the Windows install disc to see if something is out of whack in the cloning process.

B

7. Verix thread starter macrumors regular

1 drive 1 partition: windows 7 (on a 40 GB Intel SSD)
    Ran startup repair: boots into windows flawlessly afterwards
    Shutdown, boot up laptop: white screen of death again :(
    Alt+enter boot up: windows 7 boots up without problems
    WEIRD

I cloned the drive with Acronis software, since all there was on the old drive was windows 7, all there is on the new drive is windows 7.

The problem lies somewhere in the Efi-->Bios transition where it looks for the windows partition but doesn't find it. But it DOES when I hit hit the option key and select the drive manually.