Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cypher3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2004
I just upgraded to 10.3.2 about 30 minutes ago, and im a little worried because now every time my iBook starts up, it goes to a grey screen with a blinking picture (world) then switches to blinking folder and alternates between ? folder and a folder with the mac face on it. Ive only had my iBook for about 2 weeks and im very worried about this.(im paranoid with all of my stuff) What should I do, and is there anyway to go back to 10.3 without reformatting?

Thanks
Cypher

sonofslim

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2003
make sure your startup disk is set correctly (your native OS X folder, not network startup) under System Preferences -> Startup Disk.

Cypher3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2004
As this is my first mac, i dont really understand what you mean. Could you please explain a little more.

abhishekit

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
akron , ohio
Ok..Try two things..
1. Boot in safe mode.. To do this , shut down. Press power on, as soon as you hear the chime, hold down shift key. DO Not hold it down before you hear the sound. When you see the gray apple logo and spinning icon, release shift. When its started fully, restart. It may perform normally again.
if problem persists,
2. insert the boot up disk, boot from the disk by pressing restart and holding 'c' down. From the installer menu open disk utility, press 'first aid' , select the hard disk shown and press repair. It would take some time, and you are all set. you can reboot normally after this.

Problem may have happend because often after updates, permissions get messed up , so it needs a reapair permissions.
And when open firmware fails to find a boot device , it shows a blinking folder.
So dont worry, nothing wrong with the comp..;)

Cypher3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2004
Thanks for your help abhishekit. I Just started up in safe mode, then restarted and now everything is fine. Do you think it would be good to repair the disk anyway just in case or is it fine?

Thanks,
Cypher

abhishekit

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
akron , ohio
Originally posted by Cypher3
Thanks for your help abhishekit. I Just started up in safe mode, then restarted and now everything is fine. Do you think it would be good to repair the disk anyway just in case or is it fine?

Thanks,
Cypher
Yah as a good practice, before you install an update repair permissions, and then after the installation repair again.
to repair permissions now/normally you dont need to reboot and all. Just open disk utility , its in Finder-applications-utilities
It will show your hard drive, select and click 'repair permissions'
cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.