Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Narcosynthesis

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 21, 2008
I have a white Macbook that is a few years old now (the multi-part body, bought when the unibody aluminium macbooks had just been released) and has generally run perfectly, but I am starting to have problems on startup and was wandering if any of you guys may be able to help...

Basically when I turn it on, it starts up fine, loads up OSX, dock and desktop icons, then stops. The mouse/trackpad respond, but clicking on any icons gives no response whatsoever. By holding down the power button I can force it to shutdown, and when I start it again it seems to run fine, allowing me to start applications as normal and opening up any finder windows that were left open when I hit shutdown previously.

Any ideas what is wrong? It seems to make no difference whether I shut down all programmes individually beforehand, or just hit shutdown and let it close them itself, but beyond that I am unsure of the cause or solution.

Any ideas?

mgartner0622

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2010
Colorado, USA
I have a white Macbook that is a few years old now (the multi-part body, bought when the unibody aluminium macbooks had just been released) and has generally run perfectly, but I am starting to have problems on startup and was wandering if any of you guys may be able to help...

Basically when I turn it on, it starts up fine, loads up OSX, dock and desktop icons, then stops. The mouse/trackpad respond, but clicking on any icons gives no response whatsoever. By holding down the power button I can force it to shutdown, and when I start it again it seems to run fine, allowing me to start applications as normal and opening up any finder windows that were left open when I hit shutdown previously.

Any ideas what is wrong? It seems to make no difference whether I shut down all programmes individually beforehand, or just hit shutdown and let it close them itself, but beyond that I am unsure of the cause or solution.

Any ideas?

Create a new user account and see if this still happens.
If so, your account may have become corrupted or has bad software, and you might need an OS reinstall.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.