Startup Problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by jonny550, Dec 6, 2014.

1. jonny550 macrumors newbie

Hi there I am hoping someone can help!

I have a Macbook Air (1.6Ghz Intel Core i5, 2 GB 1333Mhz DDR3 mid 2011).

I updated it to Yosemite and for a time it ran perfectly with no issues. After a few weeks though I experience random crashes and have looked around online and found that it might be best to do a factory reset and roll it back to Mavericks. I figured this would be a good idea anyway as the system was becoming a bit of mess. However when trying to do this the reinstall has failed every time for unknown reasons.

As a last ditch before taking to a shop I attempted to use a 32GB USB drive as I figured there may be an issue with the hard drive on the laptop. I have now successfully managed to get the laptop up and running thanks to Internet Recovery and I am running Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 (11G63).

I have done some hard drive tests using Disk Utility and it all comes back green.

I now need to get off the USB drive and back on the Hard Drive. Please can someone advise??

I also want to get back onto Mavericks and not Yosemite ideally

Many thanks in advance

J

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It could be that the drive is bad, even though Disk Utility says it is okay.

Try to clone the OS from the USB drive to the internal drive.

Boot to Internet recovery then start Disk Utility and go to the restore tab. Now drag the USB volume to the source tab and the internal volume to the destination tab and click restore. That will clone the Lion install to the internal.

3. jonny550 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks very much i followed your instructions and now the laptop is running from the Hard drive and running smoothly so far!

I want to update the OSX ideally to the last Mavericks but is this even possible anymore?

I am just concerned The last time I tried to update to Yosemite the installer repeatedly crashed and thats why I had to use Internet Recovery to bring it back to life. I looked at the installer log and there was a long list of errors I don't understand and the install hung on 'About 15 minutes remaining' (I left it overnight for about 9 hours) but the spinning wheel meant everything was unresponsive.

Any advice as to what to do next would be appreciated

Many thanks for your help though!

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

What you are describing really does sound a bad drive and the stress of an OS install i causing it to lock up. Other than taking it in for further diagnostics, I don't know what else to suggest at this point.

At least you have that bootable USB clone now you can use to restore if you need to.