Startup Question

menoinjun

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2001
Here's one for you all...how can I get my computer to prompt me which operating system to boot up in BEFORE it starts? I do a lot of Pro Tools work, and I hate booting into X to boot back into 9. (pro tools wont work in classic)

Any suggestions?

-Pete

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
you can hold option... but i'm guessing you knew that and are looking for something to prompt you with the option without holding a key down... not sure of any way to do that myself..

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2001
jelloshots beat me to the post

Hold down option on startup to select OS 9 or X. This only works if the OSs are on seperate partitions.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
Originally posted by asurace
This only works if the OSs are on seperate partitions.
ahh, i didn't know that...

i have os x and 9 on two different hard drives each... ie, 4 total systems... (don't ask why right now.. ha) and so i guess when i've done it i just see the two options- with whatever os the particular drive was set to startup from in startup disk eh?

that makes sense. i wondered why i couldn't really "change" which one i used on a particular drive.. see, it's good that you put your advice in, can all learn something

menoinjun

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2001
Yeah...sure I knew that. Thanks guys! I will use that on my G4, but I have an iBook with OS 9 and 10 on the same partition. Any other suggestions? Are there any software titles that will help?

-Pete

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
Originally posted by ptrauber
Yeah...sure I knew that. Thanks guys! I will use that on my G4, but I have an iBook with OS 9 and 10 on the same partition. Any other suggestions? Are there any software titles that will help?

-Pete
I think u can do the same thing for a single partition pete...

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by mmmdreg

Yeah you can...just as long as you have the two system folders and all..
Ok, I went and tried it but it didn't work. I'm on a TiPB with both systems, OS9.2.2 and OSX.1.4 in different folders but the same disk (no partitions).

Rebooted holding the option key and got a screen I hadn't seen before (always fun) to the lower left and circular arrow button, upper middle a drive icon, lower right a right arrow button. I tried pressing the left button, nothing ( the little macOS9 graphic on the drive icon didn't change). Then I pressed the right arrow button and it booted to 9.2.2

What do I do to get it to select the other system folder?

Thanks

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
Originally posted by dukestreet

Ok, I went and tried it but it didn't work. I'm on a TiPB with both systems, OS9.2.2 and OSX.1.4 in different folders but the same disk (no partitions).

Rebooted holding the option key and got a screen I hadn't seen before (always fun) to the lower left and circular arrow button, upper middle a drive icon, lower right a right arrow button. I tried pressing the left button, nothing ( the little macOS9 graphic on the drive icon didn't change). Then I pressed the right arrow button and it booted to 9.2.2

What do I do to get it to select the other system folder?

Thanks
i recently tried that same thing for the first time and got the same result.

what confused me is that i have both 9 and x on 2 different drives (4 total sys folders) so i always see 2 options which have just happened to be x in one and 9 on the other every time. however i haven't figured out how to switch within a partition.

also, it takes a really long time for it to settle down enough for me to click the arrow to start up. quite a while... you had that as well? or can you just click it right away?

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule

also, it takes a really long time for it to settle down enough for me to click the arrow to start up. quite a while... you had that as well? or can you just click it right away?
Yes, which made it hard to figure out what was going on. Someone chime in here and tell us what to do

thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.