Startup Slowing Down

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bigdb11, Apr 19, 2009.

1. bigdb11 macrumors regular

I got my MBP in December and have noticed that startup is starting to take longer than it did when I first got the computer. Any maintenance I can do to speed it up again?

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

You can download Onyx to do some maintenance or you can delete the Caches folder from ~/Library/ folder. Deleting the Caches is effective and you should notice an improvement on restart.

3. bigdb11 thread starter macrumors regular

What are some types of maintenance to do with Onyx?

Also, what's the full extension on the library folder? Sorry, I am still new to OS X

My boot up times are around 37 seconds. What do other ppl average?

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

You can find the Library folder by clicking on Finder (first icon on your dock) then clicking on Library. In the Library folder you will see the Caches folder. Drag that to the trash, empty and restart. If your computer is new, you shouldn't need to run Onyx for maintenance.

5. bigdb11 thread starter macrumors regular

Is 5 months old still new? How long is average for boot up times?

6. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I would consider 5 months relatively new unless you've installed a lot of applications and such but if not, I don't think maintenance needs to be done that soon. Boot up time, from when you power on and get to the desktop takes me no longer than 1 min. You're not always going to get the same boot up times, they'll fluctuate here and there.

7. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

My boot up times are around 4 seconds with 8GB RAM + 2.93Ghz + SSD.

8. bigdb11 thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, so from what you're saying 37-45 secs would be normal considering I have a comparable machine.

9. bbadalucco macrumors 6502

4 seconds??? WOW...I have a 17" 2.66 with 8gm RAM and 250gb Vertex and my startup time takes about 27 seconds...what gives?

10. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Yeah, seriously? 4 seconds :eek: From the time you push the power button, it takes 4 seconds to boot up into OS X and to your desktop? WOW!

11. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

Well this guy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEHT0jLW5yY beat me with 1.5 seconds less.

12. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

SSD have different speed from really fast, to fast, to slower than HD speed.

13. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

WOW, I knew SSD's were fast but not THAT fast. I can't wait for these things to drop in price so I can get one!

14. bbadalucco macrumors 6502

What does that mean? I have a brand new 250gb Vertex (with 80gb free). are you saying its barely fast than a 5400 rpm hdd?

I feel a bit better now. Thats not how I calculate my startup time. I mean, if you added how long his screen was blank for and the loading, it was probably more along the lines of 20 seconds.

So yeah, if I were to count form the time we get the spinning icon, I'd be around 4-5 seconds as well.

15. Screwball macrumors regular

Don't you realize you shouldn't start counting when the the little sign starts circling, but from when you push the start button?

16. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

Oup's :p

17. tibi08 macrumors 6502a

tibi08