startup time

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jeremy566, Jul 23, 2008.

1. jeremy566 macrumors member

my startup time takes about 15-20 seconds its that good

here is my activity work

[​IMG]

2. SpookyLars macrumors 6502

3. jeremy566 thread starter macrumors member

what is normal startup time for the mac i just ran it it took 20-25 second to startup but i also customized my dock

4. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Please mention where exactly does the boot process get stuck? Eg: On the grey screen with/without Apple logo or the blue screen? Or is it that logging in takes a lot of time!

5. jeremy566 thread starter macrumors member

from the time i press the button to turn on the computer to when it gets to the main screen it takes between 20-30 seconds its that normal

6. ebayhelp macrumors member

lmfao

yes that is normal

Don't worry your mac isn't like slow over the time (unless you use onyx)

but yea, it's normal don't owrry

7. SpookyLars macrumors 6502

My boots in less than 30 sec. From my point of view, it really doesn't matter because I rarely restart Mac - maybe once in month.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

My start up time takes a while because I have about 20 start up items; I don't really mind because I only sleep my computer; restart it only when necessary.

9. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

20-25-30 seconds is normal. Thats fast if you ask me :)

Mine boots up in about 25. But it all depends on how much space you have on yer disk, apps set to start at launch etc. Don't be worrying :)

10. PeaceOut macrumors member

Mine takes
    - 30sec just to get to the blue screen then
    - 10sec to get to the login screen
    - 10sec about after I login to get things going.

(did it twice for good measure)

Naturally I didn't have a problem with this because I'd rarely shutdown but yesterday I had my 2nd freeze up. The computer wouldn't come back from sleep. It just had the spinning pin wheel turning and turning. I'm a pretty patient fellow, so I left it for a good hour and then had no choice but to do a hard reset.

Not sure what the issue was with it not coming back from sleep but I think I might just shut down for good measure from now on. Ohh and I have smartsleep installed and battery was at 100% when I left my office on my 1 hour commute home in case anyone was wondering.

11. bart rijksen macrumors regular

Is there something wrong with mine? it takes about 30 seconds to go to the login screen, but then another 30 seconds to load the finder. I have 5 background tasks opening, but is that what is making it start up so slowly?

I do use Onyx. Does that make the startup slower?

12. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

^ thats just his opinion at it seems to be slower after you run Oynx. but thats just becuase all of the boot, system and users caches are cleared. after a couple of reboots the caches are re-written and optimised making it back to speed again.

13. bart rijksen macrumors regular

Oh, ok. Thanks. but that isn't what happened. I've started it up 20 times already, and it is still this slow. The only background processes that are opening are: iTunes Helper, Microsoft AU Deamon, iStat Menus Helper, AppCleaner Helper, and GrowlHelperApp

14. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

where is the startup slowing down? if its at the blue screen then thats where your user account and login items load.

remove all the login items and then try. you can add them back easily by backing up the com.apple.loginitems.plist file in Users/username/Library/Preferences.

also do you have anything in /Library/StartupItems which might be slowing it down?

15. bart rijksen macrumors regular

It doesn't hang on the blue screen, but after that. Loading the bar at the top of the screen, and the dock. I only have 2 hp tasks in startupitems. I will now try removing any background tasks that also start. the helper applications

16. bart rijksen macrumors regular

So i just timed my startup time, about 1 minute. The apple logo is on for 33 seconds. Than the blue screen for 1 second, and then i can login. Than it takes 26 seconds before all the icons in the task bar are loaded. These are all the things that load in my bar.

[​IMG]

17. apple. macrumors member

18. bart rijksen macrumors regular

It's all good now. I deleted my two HP folders from /Library/StartupItems/, and now it starts up fast. Thanks to all the help.