startup times & tune-ups

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by nplima, Jul 8, 2007.

1. nplima macrumors 6502a

Hi everyone,

I was just reading that other thread about some guy who dumped his iMac and got a Dell and there were some comments on how Windows installations get all sorts of crud and become slow with time.
    I remember having similar opinion and concerns in the time of Windows 98, but now I think that my computing habits must be better than before, because it just isn't as obvious...

If I could have your cooperation for a few minutes, I'm just curious about how fast your PCs&Macs boot up and are ready to use. for the sake of comparison, I think it would be interesting to know what start up items you have that may add to the waiting...

I'll start:
    from GRUB to login screen, my laptop takes 37 seconds;
    from password entry to being ready to use, that's another 8 seconds.

This is running Windows XP SP2 on a core2duo T5200 (1.6Ghz) with 1024 MB RAM. Hard disk is Seagate on a SATA controller.

My startup items that might take some time are Google Desktop Search and Crystal XP for improving the appearance of the UI.

When the startup is complete, the RAM usage is already at 40%...

How does this compare to your computer?

2. janey macrumors 603

janey

given how fundamentally different all the OSs and hardware are at startup, I'm not sure this is a valid comparison. Even with a mac to mac comparison, not even the login items inside your account info in system preferences can show you all the other things that startup as well, etc.