Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bpetruzzo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 22, 2005
I'm using Onyx every so often when things start to get sluggish. Recently, things keep flying out of whack for no obvious reason. Like, USB ports stop working, or icons won't load. When I run Onyx, it tells me that the startup volume needs repair. I'll put in the Snow Leopard disk, repair the startup volume and return to Onyx, which then says everything is fine and goes about its business. Then, after not too long, things fly out of whack again and I'll need to repair the startup volume again.

What causes the startup volume to need repair? Is there some way I can avoid this kind of thing? Is there something I'm doing that's making this happen?

Any advice would be helpful. This would be an obnoxious problem to try and recreate for the Apple store people. Taking it in there, they'll probably just repair the startup volume and send me on my way.

m85476585

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
It sounds like your disk might be going bad. Doesn't Onyx check the SMART status?

Make sure you have a good backup.

Csmitte

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2007
It sounds like your disk might be going bad. Doesn't Onyx check the SMART status?

Make sure you have a good backup.

Heed this advice!

the same thing happened to me and i had about 7 days till catastrophic loss.

Cheers!

bpetruzzo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 22, 2005
It says the smart status is fine. The last time Onyx said the drive needed repair, I tried simply restarting and running Onyx again. This time it said everything was fine.

I have Time Machine running on all my important stuff pretty much all the time. So I'm not too worried about the drive konking out, except that it will be annoying to fix.

tuckerdogavl

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2009
why no response re: Onyx

i've run the disk and the repair for onyx three times and i get the same thing each time I try to run onyx: this volume needs to be repaired. Definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over expecting different results. Technology is great when it works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.