Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
editorial rant below...

My fellow iPhonites. iPhonizens. iPhowners.

We are at the dawn of a new era. Or error. iPhone apps are in need of help.

Steve J's Utopian vision of web "apps" is already losing its luster. It seems the best apps have already been made. The flow of new apps has slowed to a trickle. And even the best ones are pretty much eye candy coated ways to get info that available anywhere on the web. With the arrival of Love Test for iPhone, web apps have officially jumped the shark.

Native apps are popping up left and right. But most people aren't looking for their iPhone for FTP, VPN, VNC, SCP, SSH, STP, AC/DC, NIN, ETC. They want meat and potato apps...stuff the average iJoe can use.

As for customization, the pixel kiddies over at modymyiphone.com are turning the home screen into the iPhone equivalent of chopped Cadillac low riders...highly customized, highly ugly.

Because Apple has locked down the phone to outside developers, because they've been slow to add missing basic cell phone functionality, because they want to control every aspect of the phone, they are effectively turning the iPhone into a Windows computer. People will mod it and hack it till the cows come home because that's their only choice.

nickspohn

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2007
You've made 48 threads, and in more than half of them you bitch about something.

The iPhone isn't for you pal.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
You've made 48 threads, and in more than half of them you bitch about something.
The iPhone isn't for you pal.

Got me all wrong bud. I love the iPhone. That doesn't mean I can't want more from it. It's certainly capable of more. If discussing shortcomings is bitching, so be it. I've never once called it a POS, or said it was worse than my XYZ phone or PDA, like so many others have. I really do love the iPhone.

You gonna tell me you like the web apps? That you use the dorky native apps people are writing for it? That you actually like the home made interfaces that look like a Star Trek checkers game from the Franklin Mint?

It's ok, I'll just go back in my corner and make snarky 4 word posts from now on, like a certain someone. Everyone else should do the same too. That way everything can stay nice and calm and never ever change.

Sobe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2007
Wash DC suburbs
Got me all wrong bud. I love the iPhone. That doesn't mean I can't want more from it. It's certainly capable of more. If discussing shortcomings is bitching, so be it. I've never once called it a POS, or said it was worse than my XYZ phone or PDA, like so many others have. I really do love the iPhone.

You gonna tell me you like the web apps? That you use the dorky native apps people are writing for it? That you actually like the home made interfaces that look like a Star Trek checkers game from the Franklin Mint?

It's ok, I'll just go back in my corner and make snarky 4 word posts from now on, like a certain someone. Everyone else should do the same too. That way everything can stay nice and calm and never ever change.

It's not universal to be sure, but I would guess that the people who really care are hacking their iPhone and putting what they want on it without waiting for Apple.

sanford

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2003
Dallas, USA
Look at Telekinesis. Runs on a Mac, not on the iPhone. Does some very interesting things, even though it's an early-stage release. Completely iPhone-compliant as you access it through Safari only, with no software installed to the iPhone. They're trying to build a platform to which anyone can add applications, again all of them totally iPhone-compliant because they run via Telekinesis on a Mac, not installing a thing on the iPhone.

Also, modmyiphone keeps a good, current list of all iPhone apps, both native and therefore not approved, and web-based. You can make the choice from those if you wish to hack or not.

editorial rant below...

My fellow iPhonites. iPhonizens. iPhowners.

We are at the dawn of a new era. Or error. iPhone apps are in need of help.

Steve J's Utopian vision of web "apps" is already losing its luster. It seems the best apps have already been made. The flow of new apps has slowed to a trickle. And even the best ones are pretty much eye candy coated ways to get info that available anywhere on the web. With the arrival of Love Test for iPhone, web apps have officially jumped the shark.

Native apps are popping up left and right. But most people aren't looking for their iPhone for FTP, VPN, VNC, SCP, SSH, STP, AC/DC, NIN, ETC. They want meat and potato apps...stuff the average iJoe can use.

As for customization, the pixel kiddies over at modymyiphone.com are turning the home screen into the iPhone equivalent of chopped Cadillac low riders...highly customized, highly ugly.

Because Apple has locked down the phone to outside developers, because they've been slow to add missing basic cell phone functionality, because they want to control every aspect of the phone, they are effectively turning the iPhone into a Windows computer. People will mod it and hack it till the cows come home because that's their only choice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.