Stater program for coding?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by jc8081, Jun 23, 2011.

1. jc8081 macrumors member

I just got a macbook air and want to learn to code apps for iPhone or android (which ever one is easier)

Can you guys give me the best and easiest programs for beginners?
    Could you also help with a site or something to learn coding?

Any tips are greatly appreciated thanks!

2. nickculbertson macrumors regular

nickculbertson

Here is a Start.

(The forum thread I linked you to was just a few posts lower on the same page as your topic.)

Nick

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Please tell us more about yourself. What is your goal, and your background?

You can hit both mobile platforms using HTML5/Javascript and something like PhoneGap, but that may or not be appropriate for your goal.

B

4. jc8081, Jun 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2011

jc8081 thread starter macrumors member

I really just want to start learning the basics to coding. My goal i guess would be to eventually make apps for the app store as a little side job but i just need to know where to get started...

And thanks nick just saw your post and i really did search but just so many unrelated things came up but thanks!

5. jc8081 thread starter macrumors member

Book for beginers?

can someone give me a link or where i could go to get a book i could get to start learning to code iphone/ipad apps. I basically know nothing about them right now or even the programs to start with...

An online book would work also. thanks!

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

What is your background with programming of any kind? What is your goal and time you have to get there?

B

7. jc8081 thread starter macrumors member

I have absolutely no background except I am good overall with computers. I just have no idea what all the different languages are and which one to start with.
    My goal is to learn some basic coding for iphone apps and eventually maybe like a year put some in the app store...time really doesnt matter since im just starting college

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

9. jc8081 thread starter macrumors member

can you guys also send me links to some good books i could get online or at a library? thanks

10. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The second link in my last post is a book.

Here's another, more basic one, from the same publisher. Others might have other suggestions. http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596521882/

B

11. RodThePlod macrumors 6502a

RodThePlod

Hiya,

I don't know much about Android, but from an iOS perspective there are a couple of books you should have on hand: Steven Kochan's Programming in Objective-C 2.0, (I think edition 3 is out very shortly) and also iPhone 3 Development by Jeff LaMache - both fantastic books which gave me my introduction to programming for iPhone.

There's also iTunes U where numerous university lectures on iPhone development are available free of charge. Check out the stickies at the top of this forum - you should find some good info up there.

Good luck!

RTP.