Static charge zapping MBP, could wake for sleep

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by synth3tik, Jun 8, 2007.

1. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

So here is a strange one I have never had happen

I was at a coffee shop working on a few things, I got up to get a refill on my coffee. When I came back the screen saver was up. I hit ENTER to wake the computer. When I hit the key I felt a smaller electro-static discharge from my hand. Not enough to make it hurt, but I did feel it. After this the computer did not wake from sleep. It sat at a blank screen with the spinning beach ball of death. A reboot of the MBP took care of the issue.

It seems to me that maybe the static discharge zapped the RAM, but I do not know. Like I said the reboot took care of everything as far as I know. Tech Tool Pro did not find anything messed up. Does anyone think that even though its working just fine a trip to a genius bar would be a good idea. I don't think anything is wrong anymore. I just don't want to take any chances.

Thanks in advance
    Synth3tik

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Just out of interest, what makes you think it was the RAM? Have you checked Console's crash logs to see if it caught anything?

3. synth3tik thread starter macrumors 68040

synth3tik

The log did not catch anything from it, there was no real "crash". The only reason I think it could have been the RAM is that it seems to make sense that the RAM could have been zapped and when the computer was trying to wake it could not access anything from RAM. Again not know really what happened makes me think the genius bar might be a good stop for tomorrow.