Static Damage?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sedrick, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Just wondering if anyone has done any damage to their phone due to a static charge? I'm constantly giving off a jolt to my phone when I grab it. I'm thinking of attaching static strips to my ass. :p

2. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Static can cause latent failures (problems that won't surface until down the road) - while my IP4 has taken a huge belt thanks to a friend, it's working still. Most CE are (hopefully) designed to withstand static, however I'm willing to wager repeated hits isn't helping anything.

Consider using a humidifier, buying some ESD footwear, seating or simply having a grounded device (that isn't static sensitive) nearby that you can touch first.

Edit: I think the biggest risk you pose for possible damage, would be plugging in a dock/connector while having a charge built up - so providing you're not touching the actual pins and discharging static through those, you should be ok.

3. RedburnIV macrumors regular

RedburnIV

The only problem I've noticed with static is every now and then you'll hear a few small pops in the earbuds if you're listening to music, but if you have the phone on you like in a pocket or something then it shouldn't do it. Just saying.

4. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I had a couple weeks where that was driving me crazy, but I think it was just a combo of a super dry winter, 2 cats and my hat.