Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

moronalert

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2008
I was wondering if it were possible in Leopard to set it so that, say, for my home network, I could have static IP automatically configured upon connect, but for a network like a hotspot or college wi-fi, have DHCP take over. Thus far, I've been unable to figure it out with the system preferences dialogue.

tia

BigPrince

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2006
Are you familiar with setting up locations? You can set a location in the network preferences for your home settings, then just use the automatic location when you are not at home.

SC68Cal

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
You can assign an IP to a specific machine while still using DHCP, normally it's in the router's advanced settings.

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 297

operator207

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2007
I do static DHCP with ISC DHCP on my server. Set the lease time to something really big (10 years) and then assign the mac address of whatever device I am setting up to use a specific IP. This worked best for me. It also gives me a nice list in the config file of what is what on my network. In my DD-WRT I believe, if I had it configured as a router (it is used only as an AP) I could also do this. I vaguely remember this type of setting in an old SMC router and a Belkin router I had awhile back for another location.

So you would leave the auto config in your laptop, and then have the router do the static DHCP settings. This should work with just about any router out there now.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Static local IP can be set
- by router (if your router supports it)
- by user (OSX can set up multiple locations easily, 3 clicks to change).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.