Static electric shock when using both hands with charger on 2016 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dashwin, Nov 28, 2016.

1. dashwin macrumors regular

dashwin

I know using the extension cord helps fix this, but my early 2011 MBP does not exhibit the same issue without an extension cord.

If I plugin to the adapter without an extension cord and place both hands on the MBP, I feel the static electric short vibration as I run my fingers over the aluminum.

How can it be normal for Apple to ship a cable without earthing in this case? Is anyone else experiencing this?

2. ocgirl macrumors regular

ocgirl

I do not have the 2016 one, but i had the same "issue" (just a weird feeling of static electricity on my wrist) with my 2011 MBP...
    Not a solution in itself but can't you use the extension cord of your 2011 if you still have it ?

3. WhiteWhaleHolyGrail macrumors 6502a

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

Yes! I thought I was imagining it but now you mention it I had this sensation when I first set-up the Mac. I have not worked on the machine whilst plugged into the AC since and so I will need to check whether this is still happening. Oddly enough I experienced this with my iPhone 6 too.

What's going on here?

4. dashwin thread starter macrumors regular

dashwin

I could but what about others who may have bought their first MBP. Seems rather odd to ask them to go get another cable or get 'shocked' by more than just the sticker price. Heh.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 28, 2016 ---
    I'm guessing that when they compromised space and packed so many things so tightly, maybe some components internally ended up touching the casing and thus we get to feel the burn? Not sure.

I'm trying to see if this is a widespread issue or just a small percentage that have it.

5. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Not unusual, a lot of other threads have covered this -- basically you'll need to use the long plug connection to ground the connection properly, rather than plugging the power brick directly into the wall. It's a common complaint.

6. WhiteWhaleHolyGrail macrumors 6502a

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

So I will need to purchase this? Great - handy that Apple didn't include the extension chord with the 2016 model.

7. ocgirl macrumors regular

ocgirl

I think it is quite widespread amongst the entire line-up of MBPs. I thought my 2011 was defective but people were having the same issue as I was, maybe metal + electricity is not such a good idea.
    Maybe we are not talking about the same thing, you are describing a burn (mine was more of a tingling).
    Boh, I do agree though that it is not normal (and static electricity or not it is ridiculous the cord hasn't been included ... selling a 25$ cord when buying a 2000$ computer is shameful).

8. happyhippo1337 macrumors regular

This phenomenon is called creeping current and absolutely harmless. It's annoying for sure, buying the once included extension cord for another 29 bucks will fix it. Experiencing this myself on a new Pro 15' 2016.

9. dashwin thread starter macrumors regular

dashwin

Maybe I do not understand the issue enough then. I get that when I am in some way being used as the conductor to ground (my feet are on something that is connected to a different power).

But what is puzzling me is that a) I have my sandals on b) I am in a wood-frame home and have wood flooring c) my early 2011 MBP does not show any symptoms of this tingling/electrical sensation with the two-pronged adapter.

More importantly if I place one hand on the MBP nothing is felt. If I put both hands each on either side then I can feel it. It almost seems like one half of the MBP is trying to 'earth' from the other half through me. This is the part that's odd. I'm not sure this is the same as what others are describing.

10. WhiteWhaleHolyGrail macrumors 6502a

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

My laptop is currently on charge in standby and if I run one hand over the lid I feel a slight charge which almost has a grip to it. I hope this is indeed harmless to the computer (and myself!). I am pissed off that Apple removed the extension cable given this is an issue and it's clearly just penny pinching. Funny that the ports etc aren't the problem for me but this is!

11. happyhippo1337 macrumors regular

It is absolutely harmless to you and the MacBook.

To dashwin: yes, that is exactly what I was describing ;)

12. xsdeus macrumors regular

I've been feeling that sensation on all of my MacBooks since 2008 (2008 Unibody MacBook, 2012 15" MacBook Pro with Retina Display, 2015 15" MacBook Pro with Retina Display)

13. protoxx macrumors 6502a

protoxx

Possible, when not plugged in not grounded, when plugged in grounded. Allowing a circuit path for the static electricity buildup you have with low humidity (winter).

14. UntitledImage macrumors regular

UntitledImage

Every MacBook ever ever had that had the aluminum chassis has done this. As I understand it and from what we've tried around here, its because the macbook has to be grounded when charging- so as the current goes into the battery. Not every wall socket is actually grounded either. But is one of the reasons for using the extension cord is because it has that 3rd prong, which acts as a ground. I've tested this around the house and have found it doesn't happen when its a plug thats grounded and using the cord, also, if you're plugging unto an ungrounded power strip too it happens. We have an older house and many of our outlets aren't grounded despite having 3 prongs. I have also plugged into a grounded surge protector with the just regular charging block and it didn't happen.

15. myscrnnm macrumors 65816

myscrnnm

So the outlet itself also has an effect on whether you feel it? Because I didn't encounter the static sensation with my 2016 MacBook Pro. I did however pick up an extension cord and start using it anyway.

16. UntitledImage macrumors regular

UntitledImage

In my experience anyway, 5 MacBooks later (3 pros, 2 airs). The only time it would happen was if I was using an ungrounded power source or if the source was grounded but I wasn't using the 3 prong plug.... basically if the MacBook itself wasn't grounded during charging through some method.

17. symphara macrumors 6502a

I had this problem with my Air (slight shock when touching it). Using the extension cord did not help. Changing the brick itself did. I can't quite figure out how exactly this was happening.

18. elf69 macrumors 68020

elf69

my macbook pro 17" from 2007 does the same.

I get static/tingling in my fingers if run over the palm rest or bottom of laptop while plugged in on the plug adapter or using a figure of 8 lead. But not when using the apple extension as it is earthed.

Not sure why they thought good to earth a cable extension and not the plugin adapter seems bit odd.

I mainly use the cord but in some places at work no plug sockets only prewired lead so then I use a figure of 8 lead.