Static Electric Shocks and Sparks from the HDMI port ??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LaravelNick, Nov 10, 2013.

1. LaravelNick macrumors member

Like many people on here, I'm looking to buy one of the new rMBPs and reading all the various reports and weighing up the options.

I've just been watching the following video and at 14:15 he talks about getting static electric shocks and sparks coming from the HDMI port when using the short power cable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzBqnzDKnVM

I found this quite amazing and wondered if this was a common problem and if so, why anyone would use the short power cable if it caused these problems.

He also states that he was completely unable to install Windows, which I will need for other aspecs of my work.

I'd be interested in other people's comments.

2. Tears Apart macrumors 6502a

Tears Apart

Yeah, stay away from portable macs, they tend to electrocute people.

3. LaravelNick thread starter macrumors member

Thanks :):), seemed like such a sensible review up until that point as well. :):)

4. Tears Apart macrumors 6502a

Tears Apart

I mean, c'mon, you would know if that was a widespread issue, wouldn't you? :)

5. yangchewren macrumors regular

Actually, what's more curious is why Apple has not grounded their compact socket heads till now... I'm sure running a tiny strip of metal through the socket head will not cost too much.

I believe this problem had lasted long before I owned my first mac (2004 iBook), to think of it, its been 9 years of carrying the cabled socket head.