Static electricity, can't take it anymore!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Loves2spoon, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Loves2spoon macrumors 65816

Loves2spoon

All of my t-shirts, boxers, bed sheets, and comforter all have static electricity and needless to say it irritates the ***** out of me!

I've tried using bounce dryer sheets but it doesn't seem to work, just makes them smell weird. I tried running a metal coat hanger over my clothes, some old lady said it would work... lol

Anyone have any suggestions that could help? Would be very much appreciated, it's really bad in the winter time! :eek:

2. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

3. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

If it is really bad, you are going to need something that is grounded, or a whole lot of metal to get rid of it all.

4. RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

I can't stand static electricity! Every year (Nov-Jan) it's in my car and on some clothes. Before I get into my car, I knock on the door real quick with my knuckle to get that annoying shock over with.
    I spray my 2 favorite shorts with Static Guard. Can't live without this stuff.
    Just hold your breath while you spray it. xD

[​IMG]

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Definitely get a humidifier. Aside of losing all the shocks, you'll breathe better.

6. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

I'm glad I'm not the only one who does the knuckle thing. People give me weird looks when I do that. My old car actually had a little pad right beside the door lock that you could touch and it would drain the static electricity from you before you grabbed the metal on the door.

Static electricity is one of the biggest things I hate about winter. I must be some kind of static electricity superconductor or something because I constantly get zapped. I'm just happy my office has anti-static carpet in it.

7. Loves2spoon thread starter macrumors 65816

Loves2spoon

An example of how bad it is, when taking off my t-shirt you can hear the sparks coming from the static! It drives me crazy!

8. Rodimus Prime, Nov 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2010

Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Put a humidify in the room. I am willing to bet your air is really dry. It is a lot easier for static discharges to happen in dry air. Hence the reason why you really only see it when it is colder. Add in the air molicules are closer together so it can jump easier.

I live in Houston so Static is not as huge of an issue here due to the high humidity.

if you want a trick to nearly avoid the shock when getting out is make sure you grab the metal on out side of your car before you get out. That way you feel the pain when you shut your door.

9. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

The Santa Ana winds have been blowing in Socal today. The temperature/dew point at the airport in Orange county is currently 17ºC/-14ºC. That's pretty damned dry!

10. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

Actually, that's my usual way of getting out of my car. I grab the metal around the door frame when getting out. Of course, I do this after setting one foot on the ground outside.

For some reason, I really get zapped in the grocery store. I get zapped when I grab the shopping cart, zapped when I open the freezer door, etc. It sucks. Thankfully, outside isn't quite as bad, since the humidity around here is usually fairly high.

11. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

yeah make sure everything is in side the car when you do that. That way you are already touching metal when you are grounded.