Static electricity lowers the volume on iPhone 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by SandeeCohen, Dec 13, 2013.

1. SandeeCohen macrumors newbie

The situation is the Etymotic hf3 headset used on an iPhone 4S.

As the weather became colder and drier, I noticed that the volume would lower on the iPhone, which was in my pocket as I walked along with my headset on.

Eventually, the volume went to zero.

I could take the iPhone out and increase the volume back up, but it would, over time, go back down.

I also noticed the volume would decrease as I took a sweater (acrylic) off. Again, static electricity.

The problem wouldn't happen if the phone was in my cotton jeans back pocket as that doesn't build up static electricity.

Yesterday, I wrapped the phone in a very slightly damp paper towel and put it in my pocket. The volume didn't decrease.

I've looked all over the Apple support sites, but haven't seen this problem described.

I contacted Etymotic, but they also haven't heard about the problem.

I have no idea what is behind it. The iPhone. My specific iPhone. Having any kind of headset on. Having the hf3 on.

As the winter weather approaches, I would like to have a handle on this.

Right now I'm testing wrapping the phone in a fabric softener dryer sheet.

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

3. SandeeCohen thread starter macrumors newbie

I would get a bluetooth headset if I can be assured that the volume won't lower if the phone is in an acrylic pocket.

4. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

It sounds more like something's wrong with your headphones or iPhone. Bluetooth headphones have worked perfectly for me, no cables, remote playback & volume control, nice.

5. ItBeMe22 macrumors 6502

ItBeMe22

Do your walking in the nude, end of problem .:D

6. Jbenn425 macrumors regular

If nothing else, at least it'll smell nice. :)